please help with one simple question i have

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91accordwithwork

kid that everyone loves!
do i need to take off the big 1 1/2 nut to get the rotors off my 91 accord dx, or should they slide over it?

thanks!

thanks honda man but thats a little much $$ for a tool

ill pass i would get it but id eve no then if it would work for sure?

trial and error is never a bad way to learn....

yah very good point, i would gladly try that kit, if i had 175 bucks laying around, but since i dont,.......... u no what i mean?

ive heard horror stories of accords and trying to pull rotors. id say 175 bucks once will save you a life time of anguish.

good point i called a mechanic he said he can replace with a new rotor and pads for 160 each side?

is that good?

160 each side is 320 bucks total. thats more than the tool you need to do it your self. although i dont know what the cost of pads/rotors will be for you either...up to you at this point i guess.

yah ill think about it, it kinda sucks i used to have a saturn, rotors came right off, now this honda is so hard to take off u no

eh...thats what makes it so fun i guess for me. just tearing into it and doing what i can...if i mess something up its just more stuff to fix and learn about. but honestly...i dont like shops touching my car, odds are they might mess it up just as bad as you did. now im gonna have to post my horror story when i get home from class.

Last edited:
160 per side is WAY WAY to much!! I have a 96 Accord EX, and your setup sounds similar to mine. That is the rotors are mounted on the inside of the hub. That tool is pretty interesting, I'm not sure how you are suppose to get the hubs BACK on though, as that is a press fit.

Here's a breakdown of prices. I had 200 into mine. I tried to hammer my hubs apart and trashed the bearings. I think that bearings were about $40 a piece. $120 in machine work (40 bucks to turn and 80 for the press maybe? can't remember exactly). I also had all new lugs pressed in so that added to the price. Got it back together and the thing shook my teeth out, I think that they were machined incorrectly.

What are you having done to the rotors, having them turned? A second option would be to find a place that machines brakes on the car. The machinist paid for me to take my car there, and I think that it was like $100 buck for both of them.

To get the brakes off otherwise, you have to remove that nut which is the axle nut (that thing is torqued to something like 150 ft lbs). Then you have to pull your lower upper and lower ball joints, tie rod, and calipers off. Once on the bench you can try and pop the two halves apart by yourself. Once that is done you should be able to take the rotor off after you remove the two #3 Phillips screws.

woow thank you for the info very much can u please explain the thing where u said i can take it somewhere and have both sides done for 100 bucks? i didnt catch what u meant that i could have done to the rotors, and yes al i want are fresh rotors

thanks

Well don't quote me on that price, I could be way off. I really didn't have much to do with it it as the machinist found it and brought it there, I just have $100 stuck in my head for some reason. I do believe that it was cheaper than the $200 I paid. I have not seen the machine, but I assume that it bolts up in place of the calipers and has a grinding wheel(s) on it. The wheels remove metal from the surface of the disk and make it flat to the caliper mounting bracket.

When I asked what you want done to the rotors, I was asking if you just wanted them turned, as in "turned" on a lathe. If all you want done is to remove the warp, I believe that this is your best bet.

Back