please help with timing belt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

integraspoon

i want to change my timing belt , and i know i have to put my engine on top dead center but i want to know if you can explain how to put it on top dead center and if the piston it has to be in compression stroke or exaust stroke or it doest matter?

turn so piston number one is all the way up, and all valves are closed for piston 1

your integra should have a small hole in each cam near the cam gear, unless its not stock cams then i dont know

i put pins through those holes so the cams wont move when i take off the belt, when you can find and align the holes then it should be at tdc or close

Also check on the crank pulley for some lightly colored marks - pink and white, I dont remember which one needs to line up to the marker on the plastic cover but if you do a quick google search you will find it.

The best way to make sure your timing is dead on is to use the marks on the cam pulley in conjunction with the crank pulley or the crank gear. Here's what you do. With the lower timing cover off you line up the pointer (triangle mark on oil pump) to the line (TDC mark) on the gear. With the cover on and crank pulley installed you line up the white mark to the pointer on the cover. Either step will give you #1 TDC. Be careful because there is 4 marks on the crank pulley 3 by themselves and one about an inch away. The 3 will have a red mark on it and thats for setting ignition timing only! Use the lone one. On the cyl. head pulley there will be an UP mark and 2 lines one on each side of the gear. With the UP mark upwards line up those other 2 lines to the cyl. head surface. From there you install your belt with the tension on the front side because the engine spins counter clockwise. secure the tensionerer and spin the engine a couple of times by hand, then loosen and retighten the tensioner and away you go. If you have anymore questions let me know. RICK By the way make sure you torque the crank pulley to 14 lbf-ft then tighten it an additional 90 degrees. You may want to borrow a crank pulley holder(commercially available)

I got that from here --> Honda Repair: timing

lets say this is your dual cam gears ( ) ( ) on each gear there is two marks, align the cam gears so four marks are like this -( )- -( )- and on the gears, there should be an arrow pointing up, the gears should be facing up and the marks on the gear should be aligned, check your crank pulley to see if its on tdc. When at tdc, near the cam gear, is the nearest "cam holder" which has a hole on it, different from all the other cam holders, when at tdc for piston one, you can stick a pin through the hole of the cam holder directly to the cam, so the cam dont move. thats what i did, kind of hard to explain on paper. hope what i wrote has any help

/\ Yah the cam gears do need to be matched up like that but be sure to check the crank pulley. That pulley has to be lined up just right as well

Back