Please Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Okay, i've posted on here a few times asking about if a certain engine will be good for a certain car I might be getting soon and all and i've recieved excellent help. but now i gotta be extra realistic, and i apologize for all the other post. they were plans but plans have been changed. i'm gonna be on a pretty tight car budget after I get my next vehicle, which will most likely be a 88-91 Civic HB, so i need to know what the cheapest and easiest engine swap would be for this chassis. would the Si D16 engine be good? i would love to do a B18A1 swap which I've already recieved a lot of help on, mainly thanks to my buddy doing this swap so i've had to ask questions for him on here, but unless I come across extra money, that won't happen. so any help you can give me on deciding the best overall engine for a low budget would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Also, this isnt related to the main topic completely, but what is a ZC engine? I hear everyone talking about them but I don't know anything about them. I'm good with the rest of the honda engines, but the ZC is like a big mystery to me. What are the advantages/disadvantages, is it vtec/non-vtec, DOHC/SOHC, easy to swap, reliable, buildable, and whatever else you can tell me? Also, would it be a good swap for what I'm trying to do? Thank you for any help.

Ok..first..for the ideal motor under your budget..i'd say b16. "great platform to work with, great potential" - Codee For your ZC question...all i really know about that is that it is both DOHC, the more common form, and SOHC. SOHC only came out for a while back in the day i heard. I don't know any advantages or disadvantages of the ZC, but my friend has it in his '89 Civic sedan, or maybe it's a coupe, and he loves it. It's pretty quick too for a stock motor. He let me drive it :) . He said it was a pretty easy swap. Yes it is reliable and just like all motors, it is buildable. I don't know how buildable, but he seems to have a lot of plans for it, so it can't be too bad. I hope i helped.

the ZC engine only weighs about 25lbs heavier than the stock D series engine, and the B16 weighs roughly 100lbs heavier than a D series. the ZC for your generation civic puts out around 130hp. its is an economical swap. ive seen it advertised for $1000 (into an 88-91 civic/crx). that is the installed price w/tranny. the same place advertises the B16 swap for twice that much.

here is a basic info page about the ZC:
http://www.geocities.com/AGGRESSIVE_BEHAVI...OR/ZCENGINE.HTM

IF YOU ARE LIMITED ON FUNDS I WOULD RECOMEND A SOHC ZC SWAP OR FOR A LITTLE EXTRA$ A DOHC ZC. THE SOHC ZC MOTOR IS ALMOST IDENTICAL TO THE US d16 crx si motor. although it has 123-126hp compared to the 108 us version. this is accomplished through a bit higher compression as well as a larger camshaft. i prefer this zc over the dohc zc. this is because i have seen ALOT of dohc zc motors with spun rod bearings or just broken rods. the dohc zc bottom end seems to be weak. anyways if you have an 89 hb you can get the sohc zc swap[ for around 950.00 and the dohc zc for 1150.00

Thank you, so it seems like it'll be the SOHC ZC when I'm ready for the swap. This place makes life so much easier. Thanks again to each of you. Hopefulyl I'll be able to repay y'all somehow

i would say go with a b16 over hear the best deal i heard is 1800 with a complete swaop from auto to stick which i think is reasonable

There are lots of ZC engines sohc,dohc fuel injected,carburated,with hp from 70-130.

Back