please let them fail, part 2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

"Laying off a worker at GM requires that you still pay 90 to 95 percent of his salary for the period of the contract. You’ve heard of these job banks where people are paid not to work."
"You can’t pay people not to work. The average compensation at GM is $75 an hour; at Toyota it’s $47 an hour."

FrontPage Magazine

Well they are starting to work out the details on the Auto Industry handout today. It really pisses me off that they are tacking this money onto an unemployment benifits bill, and the sole reason for doing this is so uninformed people get really pissed off when Republicans do not vote for it. And by uniformed people I mean 98% of Americans, because the Presidential Election is over and no one gives a shit about this kind of stuff any more.

yeah they just try to weasel everyone by hiding legislation in other legislation, and having a piece of legislation that is 700 pages so that no one (including legislators) reads.

I say the government pays an automaker 100mill to develop and manufacture natural gas trucks in the US. Could be any automaker. Gets people working, saves some of our auto industry, and takes more dependence of oil.

That way they have to work for the money, and we get an added benefit.

I say the government pays an automaker 100mill to develop and manufacture natural gas trucks in the US. Could be any automaker. Gets people working, saves some of our auto industry, and takes more dependence of oil.

That way they have to work for the money, and we get an added benefit.

Natural gas/propane is already being used in major cities with their fleet vehicles/cars. Also the show Trucks just had a coversion on it a week or so ago.

Yup, lots of natural gas vehicles out there as is.

What they need to do is tighten up their clearances, clean up their manufacturing process, use better materials, do better work, engineer better vehicles, pay their employees a less than insane salary, dump the union, and start chruning out better vehicles. More domestic vehicles purchased here is key. But currently, unless its given to me for free, you wouldn't catch me driving a new domestic. Build quality and material quality have suffered so bad you can see it, smell it, and feel it the second you touch the newer vehicles. Park a german car next to a japanese car, next to an american car.. And look them over. US auto makers flat out SUCK right now.

You really gotta hand it to GM though, they're the only one of the big three that really gives a shit about alternative energy. Chryslers like "We make shitty 4 cylinders and only care about how fancy our shit looks" Ford says "We give you three options, waay too small, just right or waayy too big" GM offers a wide variety of vehicles, and have been working on electric and hybrid technology in an array of vehicles including a Tahoe used by the State Highway Patrol because of its size, power and economic balance. My hats off to GM.

what we need to do is abolish unions.

if you don't want to work for $10 an hour, GET A SKILL that will pay you more. putting bolts on something or pressing the same button all day long does not qualify you as 'skilled labor'. You should not make $30 an hour, have 100% free healthcare and a pension on top of it.

unions, conceived to protect the worker and his job, are the very basis for which these employees will no longer have a job.

You can't abolish unions. But you can write your senator to vote against EFCA. I did.

my senators are useless democrats :(

So are mine. I elected them.

In june, initially 78% of the senate opposed the bill before kennedy brought it before congress. It was filibustered last time, and hopefully again this time.

You really gotta hand it to GM though, they're the only one of the big three that really gives a shit about alternative energy. Chryslers like "We make shitty 4 cylinders and only care about how fancy our shit looks" Ford says "We give you three options, waay too small, just right or waayy too big" GM offers a wide variety of vehicles, and have been working on electric and hybrid technology in an array of vehicles including a Tahoe used by the State Highway Patrol because of its size, power and economic balance. My hats off to GM.

i think chrysler has engines that will take e85, even though ethanol sucks. and at least ford offers the toyota hybrid system in some of its vehicle.

british leyland (gone now) and renault had bailouts. france owns 15% of renault.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/18/business/economy/18car.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

germany owns part of VW.
i think malaysia owns part of proton.

gm is trying to get bail-out from germany for it's opel brand (source of our new, stylish saturns)
GM asks Germany for €1 billion credit guarantee - International Herald Tribune

gm bailout ad
http://gmfactsandfiction.com/

heard gm dropped their 3% of suzuki shares, not a bad move. some would say they need the small car help, but i think suzuki only fares well in japan.

recent japanese currency manipulation to affect vehicle pricing (not the first time)
http://www.autoyensubsidy.org/

korea had more protectionism until pretty recent (their auto industry is still young)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_automobile_industry
"1987: Government cancelled "Automobile Industry Rationalization Plan";
  • Government introduced import liberalization of commercial vehicles between 1,000 and 2,000 c.c."

Last edited:
Back