PMTR Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by kylemarhx+Aug 26 2005, 12:13 AM-->
brian11to1
@Aug 25 2005, 12:16 PM
so, i can use LS rods (oe or aftermarket), and basically a piston designed for an LS (oe or aftermarket)? Very nice, very nice. Ill get the B16 gasket kit, it should save a little scratch, eh?
[post=545130]Quoted post[/post]​

yes on the rods and pistons. there are a couple people on h-t and/or ebay that sell a complete aftermarket gasket kit for like $140, bottom and top end. if you wanna go oem honda, then heeltoeauto.com sell's complete gasket kits and discounted prices. might wanna check them against local honda dealer or wherever you source honda parts to see where you can get a better deal.
[post=545486]Quoted post[/post]​

I actually have them bookmarked. Ill do that tomorrow. got some names of HT members so I can PM em?

I talked to Jeff, Im getting H beams and 9:1 IB Specs Wiseco SuperDupers!!!

Uhm, but I dont know. Im trying to figure something else out. Where to get the uhm, yea the shortblock.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1277864&page=1 that's a link to the guy's thread that sells the gasket kits.

http://estores.merchantpartners.com/pn280/...products_id=147
there's the link for the genuine honda lower end gasket kit from heel toe auto.
http://estores.merchantpartners.com/pn280/...products_id=169
that's a link to the top end kit. says it's for a itr/b16, but i believe everything but the IM gasket will fit on a gsr head.

if your budget allows, i'd spring for the genuine honda stuff, at least for the headgasket... even more so if you're going to be boosting.

I have a friend that works at the honda dealer back home, he's checking on prices for me. so we'll see how the OE rebuild kits goes. the least I will do is get OEM cam seals, IM and EX manifold gaskets along with the headgasket.

Got one quick question. Putting the LS crank into the GSR, would this make it a 1.833L engine?

Bore = 81 and Stroke = 89.

Also, I looked for the displacement computer, found one. the Formula is

pi/4 * bore^2blah blah

what does the ^ mean? im not math genious, but ive never seen the ^ before.

^ means, "to the power of". or in this case, since it is ^2, also means "squared".
3^2 = 3² = 3·3 = 9

and yes, the ls crank will give you slightly more displacement with it's 89mm stroke rather than the gsr/itr's 87.2mm.

the formula for figuring the displacement of the engine is very simple.
it's the same as figuring the volume of a shape just like you did in middle school.
base x height will get you the displacement of a cylinder.
being that the base (cylinder area) is a circle, it makes it just a bit more complicated. the forumla is below.

pi · r² · h

pi = 3.1415926535...
r = radius = cylinder bore divided by (/) 2.
h = height = stroke.
² = ^2 = to the power of two = squared.

plug in the numbers.

3.1415926535 · 40.5² · 89

according to math's "order of operations", you take care of the power equation first. then the rest of the multiplication.

3.1415926535 · 1640.25 · 89 = 458616.7641400375

that's the volume of one cylinder, multiply that by the number of cylinders (4) and you get the volume (displacement) of the engine in cubic millimeters.

458616.7641400375 · 4 = 1834467.0565656015

divide it by 1000 to convert it from cubic ml's to cubic centimeters (cc's).

1834467.0565656015 / 1000 = 1834.4670565656015

and that is your 1.834L LS engine.

i'll spare you the math, but the gsr/itr's displacement is 1797cc's which gives the ls stroked engine a ~37cc displacement advantage.

That exactly what i thought. I just wasnt sure. I had it going on.

So, ill have a 1.834L GSR w/B16 head!!! WoooHooo.

Is there any significant difference between... B18C1, B18C3 and the B18C5? Im working on a deal with a local guy who has a B18C3, supposedly the Euro ITR engine. He wants $700-$750 cash. I told him I cant do it for 2 weeks.

Should I? It's a complete bottom end, even has timing covers.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Aug 27 2005, 02:13 PM

Is there any significant difference between... B18C1, B18C3 and the B18C5? Im working on a deal with a local guy who has a B18C3, supposedly the Euro ITR engine. He wants $700-$750 cash. I told him I cant do it for 2 weeks.

[post=546053]Quoted post[/post]​

c1, c3, and c5s all have the same bore and stroke. Which ever one you can get cheaper, go for it.

Originally posted by 2000Si+Aug 28 2005, 02:14 AM-->
brian11to1
@Aug 27 2005, 02:13 PM

[post=546053]Quoted post[/post]​

c1, c3, and c5s all have the same bore and stroke. Which ever one you can get cheaper, go for it.
[post=546244]Quoted post[/post]​

Yea, I knew they had the same bore/stroke. I guess the only difference between them would be the cams and compression. Right?

Im working on getting an LS crank that has been micropolished and balanced. The question: since it wasnt balanced with the rods I plane on getting, will it need to be rebalanced or does it not matter?

honda cranks are usually already balanced. you can measure the rods on a little scale or have a machine shop do it. same with the pistons. if there all the same weight there should not be a problem.

Originally posted by erebunicrx@Aug 28 2005, 08:41 PM
honda cranks are usually already balanced. you can measure the rods on a little scale or have a machine shop do it. same with the pistons. if there all the same weight there should not be a problem.
[post=546485]Quoted post[/post]​

Yea, Jeff @ ImportBuilders is doing it. I dont trust myself doing that. Also the crank I am getting has been micropolished, is this bad? Im getting it for $150. I thought MP was for damaged cranks. Maybe I'm confused. Anywho, someone explain.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Feb 28 2003, 12:31 AM
When you don't need it anymore.
The crank-end of the B16 and H22 rods has been sized for a #2 Honda bearing. All other rods are sized for a #3 Honda bearing.

Directly from www.theoldone.com.

<_<
[post=50732]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok, so since I am getting EAGLE rods, does this mean I am using #3 bearings for the rods? IF this is the case, do I still need to plasti-gauge.

Just some small research.

Micropolishing is not just for damaged cranks. It creates a smoother surface which helps hold a film of oil. Honda bearings are also not numbered, they are color coded. And it is always a good idea to plastigage. I used one set of bearings to check my clearances and ordered the correct bearings to get the desired clearances.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Aug 30 2005, 05:08 PM
I know knife edging, is bad. I guess I had the two confused.
[post=547508]Quoted post[/post]​

Back