PMTR Q's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

drpenguin

I was wanting some info on a PMTR. I was looking into building one this winter to replace my stock b16a bottom end. Im thinking of droping the LS crank and rods in to up the tourqe. Im running nitrous as well. if i can save up enough money i want to get it re-sleeved and drop in some airies slugs. (not sure on spelling) I plan on keeping the b16 head to stay obd0.

Im not a fan of arias, but i guess you can do it if you want...im partial to JE myself...ive only seen JEs crack with a blower and a 200 shot of nitrous...on a big block chevy.

I had to look it up, so for those that dont know, PMTR = Poor Mans Type R

oh, and if you want to come into the light with JE, you know who to come to.

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63773

yeah i should have added that. not many people know what one is. For those of you who dont know. you generally throw type r pistons in a gsr and slap on a b16 head.

I still do NOT understand why people always want to throw on a B16 head...

You get more power with a GSR head. Period. End of story. Jeff has dyno tests comparing a GSR head to a B16 head on the SAME bottom end, and the GSR head did better.

But hey, to each his own.

POOR man's type R.

Thats the only answer i can think of. I havent done the research to figure out which is more expensive, but i would assume a GSR head is more expensive. And he said he wanted an OBD 0 head so he has to stay with B16

well i used to drive a gsr that was nos. and well the vtec felt weak. really weak. you get in my b16 rex and the vtec kick throws everything off the dash and the thing roars like a freight train. and if the GSR head is so damned good why didnt they put it on the type r? i think the honda guys know what works better. Another good reason. go look at GSR parts and look at B16 parts....what one is cheaper?

Quoted post[/post]]
I still do NOT understand why people always want to throw on a B16 head...

You get more power with a GSR head. Period. End of story. Jeff has dyno tests comparing a GSR head to a B16 head on the SAME bottom end, and the GSR head did better.

But hey, to each his own.
no shit, the cams are more agressive.

i believe the reason people use a b16 head, its becuase its closer in comparison to the ITR head w/o factory PnP. So this would be why they put a B16 head on the GSR botto. otherwise, it would just be a 'built' gsr engine.

i thought about doing this same exact setup. LS Crank... IB Spec pistons and rods... yep. mmmmehhmmm

My mech told me he made up one of these "mutt" motors he calls them. Told me your able to keep the girdle and all the stuff. The LS crank with the rods are supposed to make alot of tourqe. I also have my b16 that im willing to rip appart to make one motor out of the two. I was wondering if the GSR pistons will even fit on the LS rods. I know the b16 slugs will fit the ls rods with no problem.

well im buying a GSR shortblock. If it happens to come with a head then i will keep the GSR head for a ashtray or something LoL. No i would sell it straight up. Im still a firm believer that if the GSR head was better it would be on the ITR

Quoted post[/post]]
well im buying a GSR shortblock. If it happens to come with a head then i will keep the GSR head for a ashtray or something LoL. No i would sell it straight up. Im still a firm believer that if the GSR head was better it would be on the ITR
The B16 head isnt on the type R either. Maybe the same core but everything else is different.

okay well this isnt a discussion about the head its about the block. I need info on the block. Like whats a good setup with all honda parts? anything I should get extra or that i will need? should I tear apart my b16 and make the best out of the two? I reall like the idea of the LS crank and rods for my tq. Im looking to make around 200whp but if i dont oh well. the HP isnt really my goal its tq and for right now im just trying to get a new bottom end in the head will come later

not to take the focus off the block, but can you use the GSR cams on the B16 head? If so, i would do that.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
okay well this isnt a discussion about the head its about the block. I need info on the block.

thats the problem here. when people dont know what they are talking about, they will take the subject off topic.

You bumped a 5-day old thread for that useless ass post?

Anyways, I'd use a GSR head. The GSR head doesn't make more power because of the cams alone, you could put B16 cams in a GSR head and it would still make more power than a B16 head. Why? The combustion chamber is designed differently. You get a little more compression with a GSR head, and no matter what application, more compression = more power.

Period.

Now, I know you aren't asking about the head, your'e asking about the block.

What I'd do if I were you, with what you've got to work with, is use the LS crank/rods with the B16 pistons.

And get a GSR head. There's NO POINT in building an all-oem-honda-parts motor to try and make power if you're gonna halfass ANY part of the motor.

okay for the last time you retards. I dont have the GSR head. If i had the GSR head it would be a coffie table. I want to know if anyone has done this mutt motor and put a LS rod and crank in. if you havnt post somewhere else. my head is great i need help with the bottom end.

Did you fucking read my post, assbag?

Now, I know you aren't asking about the head, your'e asking about the block.

What I'd do if I were you, with what you've got to work with, is use the LS crank/rods with the B16 pistons.

And if you don't want ADDITIONAL informatin and advice above and beyond waht you're looking for, noone's forcing you to read what I'm posting.

Yes i read that it wasnt directed at you. So the b16 slugs on the ls rods will be better then the gsr slugs? I know the b16 slugs will fit on the ls rods with no problem. dont the GSR and type R slugs have to be pressed on or somethine like that? Im building the motor for turbo later down the road. I picked up a GSR tranny to mate with this motor when i get it in the hatch.

Back