PNP'd my own TB

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
I read on Nasioc that you pick up a few HP by tapering the TB out to a knifed edge. Does make sense. The TMIC is directly connected to the TB, so airflow is coming out and then hitting a .25" thick wall. The stock TB also has a lil lip just before the throttle plate too.

So I started by removing the lil lip and tapering the whole TB. Then polished it up nice and re installed. I noticed some nice off boost throttle response pickup as well as a lil better top end.

I got bored at work and had a thought....What if I mill that center arm down?? This would make more room for airflow without actually enlarging the center bore of the TB further. This is the results:

tbwork.jpg

tbwork1.jpg

tbwork2.jpg

tbwork3.jpg

tbwork4.jpg

tbwork5.jpg

It took the results of the 1st step and just enhanced them even further! The top end is incredible now. I wish I had access to a AWD dyno so I could put some real numbers to this but my g/revs went up when I logged. Before I had a peak of 230 G/rev from 5800 to 7000. Now Im pulling 233-235 from 6K -7200. Im happy with the results :)

Nice work.

Next PNP job; intake manifold. Remove or hone the tumbler gas valves (TGVs). Then throw on a new turbo inlet hose from ebay or the nasioc classifieds.

I'm sure thats a real nice car you have, especially with it being a few hundred pounds lighter than a WRX and having your constant tuning and tweaking abilities to fine tune.

I just purchased a 20G the other day. Went with the Td06 20g with a 7cm exhaust housing. Hoping to hit full spool around 4K.

Also picked up DW 750's, APS 65mm CAI, BPM inlet. I plan on removing the Intake Manifold and doing the TGV delete and PNP'ing them as well :)

I taper mine out from the plate to the end some too but i do it by hand....drill and several steps with different stones, sanding wheels, polishing wheels, etc,etc....

This is the one on my LS....

trans010.jpg

You polished it up nice, taper the very end out to a thin rolled edge. You still have a thick edge there :)

At work :) LOL!

I sometimes get lucky and have stuff to program. Each part takes 20+ mins on an automated test setup. So I get some downtime to play around a lil :)

I tapered the TB on my old LST. But it looked much more like Turbo&Auto's. Sorry no pictures.

But T&A, looks great. :thumbsup:

like this T&A?

DSC00366.jpg

this was my b16 TB.. of course i didnt do it.. Maxbore did

64mm and i believe it tapered out to 66mm

Yeah man, thats the way :) The Matrix guys use maxbore as well. i think they bore the whole center and replace the plate, correct?

Damn, thats a monster! LOL! I just sold the power one I had, 68mm with a taper to 73mm. Wish I couldve used it first to say what a TB that size does for me :)

I noticed the only difference in mine and that one is I countersunk my screws and thinned all the way to the ends. I need to look at some more and see why they did that over what I did.

I love bridgeports.

At first I didn't realize that was an endmill and was like "why is he drilling the shaft?".

Back