Pocono

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

number9

Just got back from CART's Pocono time trial. It was great.

lol, I knew that was coming. Sorry, I was beat last night.

Anyway, Pocono is a tri-oval, and they rent out corners - we had the "south" track, which includes an infield course. The infield is like a high speed autocross - not unlike Bristol. The turn we use is a +/- 15 degree bank, that's really cool. Top speed for me on the bank was about 102 mph - on my street Kumho MXs. Passing is only allowed on the bank (lots of room). The total length is 1.1 miles, which I did in 58+ seconds in my timed runs (two timed runs). The infield is obviously a bit slower than the bank - well, it's not that slow, but a hairpin turn brings you down to 2nd.

Virtually unlimited seat time. I put on 100 track miles and used a full tank of gas. I could have done more, but there was only about an 1.5 hours left in the day and I didn't feel like finding a gas station.

Great value. The cost was $180, minus $40 if you sign up for two CART track events ($20 off each event). PLUS, $35 gets applied to membership in CART, so the net cost is $105. And Pocono is much safer than Lime Rock.

The only down side is the distance. It's 200 miles from my house. But CART gets a group rate a local hotel and that only cost $54 a night. I went down Sunday afternoon and spent the night.

Oh, we get to use the NASCAR pit garage as well. Great facilities. CART does Pocono twice, the other event (already done) uses the North course, which apparently has a bigger infield. (A lot of people said they prefer the North course.)

Back