Pointing a subdomain to a subdirectory on another host?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DarkHand

VIP
Ok, so I have my domain hosted at Godaddy with a crappy $5/month plan. It's not bad for small usage... 'unlimited' bandwidth, 10GB space. I use it for file storage (minecraft server backup archives) and the free phpbb forum.

I also have a minecraft server hosted with Bitcable, 8-core 3.2ghz KVM, 4gb ram, 200GB raid, 2.4TB transfer/month on a gigabit link. Right now I have an A-record on the godaddy domain pointing to it (mc.domain.com) so I have a nice clean subdomain for folks to type in.

I'm also running Dynmap, which provides realtime mapping of the minecraft server. That's in a subdirectory on the bitcable boxes webserver.

I'd like to create another subdomain and have it point to the mapping directory on the bitcable box (map.domain.com). How can I get a subdomain to point to a subdirectory on a remote box?

Yes I should probably ditch the $5 plan and put it all on the bitcable box, but meh.

EDIT: Typing this all out helped me think through it a bit... I'm guessing I need some sort of .htaccess tomfoolery to redirect connections that have the Map subdomain as a referrer, but maybe there's a better way?

Last edited:
Why not just create a CNAME record for the 2nd subdomain?

that's basically what i'm doing here for the CDN. all the js.hondaswap.biz urls are actually loading myaccount.myprofile.mycdnprovider.com/

Agreed, use a CNAME.

and what do you mean point to a sub directory? like have newname.domain.com -> whatever.host.net/subdirectory?

The subdomain part can be kind of confusing, but if you add this to your htaccess file for your primary domain on the box you're pointing the other site to. it'll do what you want. It wont work until after you've added the CNAME for your other site.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.domain.com$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /DIRECTORY/$1

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.domain.com$
should be
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?domain\.com$

to escape and allow for non-www as well

well it's likely not going to be a www, i wrote that in 10 seconds to fill the requirements he gave. Im supposed to be at work at 10am central...i posted that at 9:42.

Feel the love darkhand.

Back