Poll About Hyperwhites

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
do you guys consider "hyper-white bulbs" to be rice?

the verdict is out on this one.......

i cant decide one way or the other.

hid is good it lights up the road soooo good saved our asses once or twice
We saw those reflective vests in just enough time to slow down

personally i dont like them .... it has nothing to do with them being "rice" or not
they usually tend to be more twards the blue spectrum of light (higher light temp 6000+)
i cant see shit with them and they cause a shit load of glare for me in rain or fog
so for me i like the stock Stanley bulbs that come from honda

i would consider getting a true HID setup but i want something in the 5000 area (not bluish just bright ass white)
i want to use the same yellow H4s that i had on my bike ( i was able to see EVERYTHING with those :) ) but the cops around here fuck with you for that (some shit about yellow only being legal for fog lights not headlights
jerkit.gif
)

hyperwhites are ok, but dont expect a dramatic increase in visibility like they claim. its more of a color change than anything (more white, less yellow). i havent tried the PIAA plasma whites though. I heard they are the brightest hyperwhites you can buy. I currently have sylvania cool-blue bulbs and im happy with them. they do provide a cooler light, which seems more relaxing to the eye, and makes the bulbs look a little like HID, but they arent much brighter than the standard halogens.

regarding HID prices: $1000 would be getting raped at today's prices, but just 2-3 years ago, that was a good deal.

Have em and don't see any difference how bright they are. I wouldn't get them again because cops and ricers are always watching your car. I do have white all around, so eventually I'll pick up the PIAA's.

i agree with the 1000 on the HID's. back in the day that would be a great deal for those. nowadays, i've seen them offered for 400-500. just depends on where you look.

HIDS and hyperwhite suck,if you're the oncoming traffic.All these Europeon cars come stock with them (HID) and it sucks driving to work in the mornings.

I have the PIAA H1 and H3 headlights on my projectors. They are damn bright compared to even my buddy's piaa's. my .02 :)

lol im not going to NOT get them to please the masses of people on the streets, im getting them because i like to be able to see what's on the road in front of me! not to mention... they look pretty damn cool!

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Mar 18 2003, 05:26 AM
hyperwhites are ok, but dont expect a dramatic increase in visibility like they claim. its more of a color change than anything (more white, less yellow). i havent tried the PIAA plasma whites though. I heard they are the brightest hyperwhites you can buy. I currently have sylvania cool-blue bulbs and im happy with them. they do provide a cooler light, which seems more relaxing to the eye, and makes the bulbs look a little like HID, but they arent much brighter than the standard halogens.

regarding HID prices: $1000 would be getting raped at today's prices, but just 2-3 years ago, that was a good deal.

I've run nothing but PIAA Platinum Superwhite for quite a while now, and they do provide more light output, and with less yellow coloration than stock. They're rated at 3800K, which is almost pure white... but not quite. There's not much of a tint on the bulbs, so they don't block much of the light from the filament. Get a higher wattage (than stock) bulb, and you'll make sure that you have more usable light, and not just whiter looking light. Sylvania Silverstars are really good too, and you can get them at your local Rice Boyz or AutoZone for about $20-25 a bulb. They're 4000K, and are OEM quality... because Sylvania makes a good majority of the OEM bulbs out there. Junk bulbs like Hiper, Cuzo, or whatever you find online for $15 a pair won't last you that long, and they have less light output than stock. If you want something obscenely bright, try out Naxos Blue bulbs. They typically pull 100 watts, and have a really heavy blue coating that makes them extremely blue. I don't like them, but they are bright. You can find them for about $30 a pair. Just watch out for your stock wiring- it may not be up to the task for feeding your headlights 100W per side.

HIDs- look at the Catz kits... they're some of the best out there. Catz makes quite a bit of the JDM OEM HID equipment. Be careful about "Philips kits" and "Osram kits", because those companies don't make full HID kits, just parts. Your wiring, bulb holders, and other parts in a "kit" may or may not be high quality.

If you want a good cheap place to buy HID stuff from that's got a pretty positive reputation, check out SUV Lights. I've been doing my research, and they look like a pretty high quality HID provider. One of my friends had a 6000K kit from them in his 95 Civic's stock housings, and they projected a very bright, low glare usable beam. It was much better than my Denjis with PIAA bulbs in them.

I'll probably end up buying the ~5500K or ~4500K Catz kit for myself though.

Originally posted by Prowler@Mar 23 2003, 11:14 PM
Why I want HID. It looks cool in the fog.

Nice. I really don't care too much about looks, as long as it looks OEM and isn't too yellow and not too blue. I just want it to perform WAY better than stock or junk aftermarket.

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 23 2003, 09:23 PM
Sylvania Silverstars are really good too, and you can get them at your local Rice Boyz or AutoZone for about $20-25 a bulb. They're 4000K, and are OEM quality... because Sylvania makes a good majority of the OEM bulbs out there.

I just switched to those after using some horribly crappy bulbs, and I really like them. You get the benefit of whiter, brighter light without blinding oncoming traffic.

Back