Poll: G35 vs. TL

04-08 TL or 03-07 G35

• 04-08 TL

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • 03-07 G35

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I like the TL's a lot. I'd probably pick it hands down even though it is fwd. I've never really been a fan of the g35s, especially the sedan is kinda :puke: to me. And only the higher models with the 6spd and better brakes/etc would really appeal to me, but that of course is different when we're wife car shopping.

Drive both.
research insurance prices
research fuel mpg/costs (both probably want premium fuel)
go with what makes you feel best.

I drove my TL year round and it did great in the snow. I also managed to get 28MPG out of it when did a lot of highway driving. I also found it to be rather fast and braking was awesome (6 speed with brimbos)

28MPG in a TL in a 3.2 V6 TL? That's pretty amazing and you must be the only one to manage that.

A lady i use to work with drove 120 Miles each way to work all highway and only managed 23mpg on her 2005 TL and its rated 18/26 for fuel consumption

i wouldn't use this as a comparison for gas mileage.

I like the G35's better. Both should average around 23-25mpg hwy though you'll get better gas mileage in the TL. I think the G35 will perform better with the beefer 3.5 but both have respectable power and tq. G35 have bigger gas tanks 20 compared to 17.

My dad's wife has a 2011 G37S loaded. Its a gorgeous looking car on the road and its but she gets shitty gas mileage around 22mpg

Anyways, either one you choose make sure you check to see if there were any recalls and that the work has been done. Both are nice cars.

I'd still get an Audi though over both of them

Again, highway and with the 6 speed. Yup I managed it.

Normal diving with mixed city and highway would be in the 23-24mpg range.

TL. Other than the reported tranny issues on some years I like them better and find them more comfortable.

We've had manual and auto G35's in sedan and coupe.
A friend of mine has a TL and it's super comfy....

I didn't like the gearbox on Nissan and thought the Acura was just more comfortable and stylish all the way down to the buttons on the door panels.

I vote TL

I dont think any TLs from 04+ had tranny issues but the 03 and earlier ones..... total fail with the trannys.

For the record I drove my TL from MD to Toronto and back. I filled up a few times on the trip and feel I have a good idea of the MPG it gets. =)

These accounts of the TL are compelling. I find myself beginning to lean towards that. Although, as was said, I should research insurance rates as well as a few other things. We aren't in a rush. Good input so far. Keep it coming if you have more.

Wife's car = reliability = Honda. Save the fun stuff for your own.

You can also use this to negotiate the next time you get a car for yourself: "Honey, I let you have the more reliable car when I wanted you to get a G35... Let me get this car this time!" :ph34r::D

it's funny because i was doing the same comparison 3 months ago. i ended up a buy a bmw 330. haven't thought twice about it since. it's an amazing car.

My old roomamte has an 06' 6 speed, and he averages mid 20's. My dad has an 08' 3.2 5 speed auto. On long trips we always exceed 30mpg going 70-75mph. The tall gearing with the 5AT really helps keep the revs down on the freeway. It really is a nice shifting auto. To be honest, if I bought a 3rd gen TL, I'd get the auto. Now I dont have any personal experience with a G35, but I have owned 2 VQ30 powered Maximas. Both were gas hogs. I averaged 22mpg lifetime and the best I could do is 26 on a long trip.

also keep in mind the Q35 has a lot more torque. therefore you are probably going to have a bit heavier foot and get lower gas mileage.

Great points. The TL is starting to seem more attractive. I originally leaned toward the TL but Motor Trend gave it a pretty poor rating in comparison to the G35. I should take their appraisals with a grain of salt though.

it's funny because i was doing the same comparison 3 months ago. i ended up a buy a bmw 330. haven't thought twice about it since. it's an amazing car.
Remind me what year you bought and with how many miles...? I'm finding a lot of 04-06 330i in the 13-15k range.

Last edited:
I like the 330s but there's no way I'd buy a 330 over a TL.

TL = drive and from time to time change the oil.
3 series = watch the BMW forums for what to keep looking for. They really did have a lot of not major issue but annoying issues like the door seals.

Now if it was a 2nd car and I wasnt going to rack miles up on it I'd rather have the 330 over the TL.

I like the 330s but there's no way I'd buy a 330 over a TL.

TL = drive and from time to time change the oil.
3 series = watch the BMW forums for what to keep looking for. They really did have a lot of not major issue but annoying issues like the door seals.

Now if it was a 2nd car and I wasnt going to rack miles up on it I'd rather have the 330 over the TL.

If I'm correct, 95b16coupe only drives a couple weekends a month because he lives in the city, has a motorcycle and a truck.

Really/ why an Audi?

few reasons:

1). Both the 1.8T and the 2.0T are great engines(im assuming you can get a 2005.5 with the 2.0T in your price range.

2). It will get better gas mileage even with AWD, I've posted pics of my 2004 Audi 1.8T gas milage after i got the APR Stage 1+ installed , 30mpg

3.) As previously mentioned, its awd

4.) same if not better luxory

5.) if you ever decided you want to mod, its already turbo, APR, GIAC ect. make tunes and kits for easy and cheap upgrades with real power increases.

It's his wife's car, something tells me that it will likely never see modifications.

Also, I'm not sure he's going to want to spend $1k+ extra just to make gas mileage a valid argument.

Audi has the same periodic electrical problems as VW. Personally I wouldn't own one.

How are the insurance rates and maintenance costs on an Audi?
I've never owned one, but I have heard that insurance is quite expensive and maintenance even more.

How are the insurance rates and maintenance costs on an Audi?
I've never owned one, but I have heard that insurance is quite expensive and maintenance even more.

insurance rates vary by person, my 2004 A4 for me was $98 a month with a couple infractions on my record from Progressive.

Maintainence wouldnt run you any more then the G35 or TL

Back