Poll: G35 vs. TL

04-08 TL or 03-07 G35

• 04-08 TL

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • 03-07 G35

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Maintainence wouldnt run you any more then the G35 or TL

Having spent countless hours tracking down electrical gremlins on A4s as new as 2004, I can tell you this statement is grossly incorrect.

I really like Audis and would sincerely love to own one. I think the points you make are all great ones. My wife likes Audi too.

I just don't trust them as a brand, and even if they fail at the same rate as the TL or G35, the parts and specialty tools required to fix them are much more expensive than the alternatives.

It's great that you have had a good experience with yours though!

Having spent countless hours tracking down electrical gremlins on A4s as new as 2004, I can tell you this statement is grossly incorrect.

I really like Audis and would sincerely love to own one. I think the points you make are all great ones. My wife likes Audi too.

I just don't trust them as a brand, and even if they fail at the same rate as the TL or G35, the parts and specialty tools required to fix them are much more expensive than the alternatives.

It's great that you have had a good experience with yours though!

well, they all need premium gas, they all need $$$ tires, they all need the same kind of oil changes, IMO Audi's have nicer interiors and handle better.

With that said, i haven't owned a used car that didn't have a few problems here and there.

for the purpose you are getting the car, the TL would be my first choice. i think that i would consider a maxima over a 4 door g35... you can get more for the money. but honestly if i found a helluva deal on a g35, it still is a good car and i would consider it.

i have had some terrible vw/audi experiences. i keep it japanese only now.

Last edited:
well, they all need premium gas, they all need $$$ tires, they all need the same kind of oil changes, IMO Audi's have nicer interiors and handle better.

With that said, i haven't owned a used car that didn't have a few problems here and there.
Ya but the Germans are arrogant and it shows in their design. Parts are expensive because they are all model specific. There is very little parts sharing that goes on within German automakers.

My old roomamte has an 06' 6 speed, and he averages mid 20's. My dad has an 08' 3.2 5 speed auto. On long trips we always exceed 30mpg going 70-75mph. The tall gearing with the 5AT really helps keep the revs down on the freeway. It really is a nice shifting auto. To be honest, if I bought a 3rd gen TL, I'd get the auto. Now I dont have any personal experience with a G35, but I have owned 2 VQ30 powered Maximas. Both were gas hogs. I averaged 22mpg lifetime and the best I could do is 26 on a long trip.

What are the odds that someones dad drove slightly different then a guy I'm guessing in his late teens early 20s?

My 350Z gets around 30mpg when I fart around town. However when I enjoy it I get like 8 :ph34r:

Great point. The single most influential factor on gas mileage is driving style/habit/behavior.

If she is that close to home, does the mpg really matter?

Finish your truck already

Remind me what year you bought and with how many miles...? I'm finding a lot of 04-06 330i in the 13-15k range.

mine is a 2004 with 70k miles on it. every option available including the 18" wheels. paid $16k for it. not cheap, not expensive. but i got every single option i wanted. i don't even miss having a manual transmission.

I like the 330s but there's no way I'd buy a 330 over a TL.

TL = drive and from time to time change the oil.
3 series = watch the BMW forums for what to keep looking for. They really did have a lot of not major issue but annoying issues like the door seals.

Now if it was a 2nd car and I wasnt going to rack miles up on it I'd rather have the 330 over the TL.

i haven't run into annoying issues yet. just shit that usually goes out around 70k. it's easy to work on though.

If I'm correct, 95b16coupe only drives a couple weekends a month because he lives in the city, has a motorcycle and a truck.

yep, i pretty much drive on weekends and when i drive during the week,it's nice.

it all depends on what you can afford and what you are looking for.

insurance rates vary by person, my 2004 A4 for me was $98 a month with a couple infractions on my record from Progressive.

Maintainence wouldnt run you any more then the G35 or TL
dont know about insurance, but maintenance will run 4-5 times higher than TL and G35 at the point when car will be 150Kmi old and this is only for schedule maintenance im not even talking about some other odd expensive problems that audi will have
And this info is not from somewhere this is from first hand experience

Plus it will cost more money just for the engine oil it self which takes 5W40 syn. oil only and burns about a 1qt every 1000-1500mi(and Audi/VW manufacture saying that if engine using less than 2.5qts of oil in 1000mi its absolutely normal for their "high performance" engines which are 1.8Tand 2.0t), so in 5Kmi between oil changes you add another 3-5qts of oil when TL will burn 0qts and G35 maybe 1qt

And another one that was mentioned before parts are freaking expensive and not same as VW(few are) even its same manufacture and displacement and alot of times you call dealer give them VIN# and they still dont know which part goes for the car so they ask you remove the part and give them particular part# thats how complicated it gets sometimes with Audi

Last edited:
mine is a 2004 with 70k miles on it. every option available including the 18" wheels. paid $16k for it. not cheap, not expensive. but i got every single option i wanted. i don't even miss having a manual transmission.
just wait a little more its at the age when they really start foaling apart

I don't think there was ever a 3 series that was unreliable. Perhaps the 7 or 5 series, but not the 3...

just wait a little more its at the age when they really start foaling apart
:no:
I don't think there was ever a 3 series that was unreliable. Perhaps the 7 or 5 series, but not the 3...
:yes:
i wouldn't say "ever" they had they crappy reputation too
every car has a crappy reputation. based purely on volume of sales more cars means more issues. depending on who you talk to defines "reputation".

dont know about insurance, but maintenance will run 4-5 times higher than TL and G35 at the point when car will be 150Kmi old and this is only for schedule maintenance im not even talking about some other odd expensive problems that audi will have
And this info is not from somewhere this is from first hand experience

Plus it will cost more money just for the engine oil it self which takes 5W40 syn. oil only and burns about a 1qt every 1000-1500mi(and Audi/VW manufacture saying that if engine using less than 2.5qts of oil in 1000mi its absolutely normal for their "high performance" engines which are 1.8Tand 2.0t), so in 5Kmi between oil changes you add another 3-5qts of oil when TL will burn 0qts and G35 maybe 1qt

And another one that was mentioned before parts are freaking expensive and not same as VW(few are) even its same manufacture and displacement and alot of times you call dealer give them VIN# and they still dont know which part goes for the car so they ask you remove the part and give them particular part# thats how complicated it gets sometimes with Audi

really 4-5 times more? is that your professional summary? lol

Taken from Edmunds.com True Cost To Own, TL takes the the cake over the first 5 years for maintenance cost over the Audi and the G35:

2006 TL
http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tl/2006/tco.html?ps=used&style=100655175

2006 Audi 2.0T
http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a4/2006/tco.html?ps=used&style=100549250

2006 G35 Sedan

http://www.edmunds.com/infiniti/g35/2006/tco.html?style=100632263&ps=used

really 4-5 times more? is that your professional summary? lol
yes it is professional summary, i work on those cars every day and i know how it goes

Taken from Edmunds.com True Cost To Own, TL takes the the cake over the first 5 years for maintenance cost over the Audi and the G35:

2006 TL
2006 Acura TL 3.2L V6 5-speed Automatic True Cost to Own

2006 Audi 2.0T
2006 Audi A4 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Automatic True Cost to Own

2006 G35 Sedan

2006 Infiniti G35 3.5L V6 6-speed Manual True Cost to Own
i dont know where/how they got those numbers for maintenance cost
lets just go with few easy examples
replacing spark plugs: Audi-every 40Kmi, TL-every 105Kmi, G35- every 110Kmi
air and cabine filters Audi- every 20Kmi, TL-every 30Kmi, G35- every 30Kmi
replacing timing belt Audi-80K-105Kmi cost $1200-1600 TL-105Kmi cost $500-700 G35- no t/belt cost $0
drain&fill auto trans fluid Audi- every 35Kmi cost$300-400 and only dealer can do it because need special tools and VAG scanner, TL-every 30Kmi cost $100, G35- every 30Kmi cost $110

plus just look at the how much u have to spend on repairs Audi is like X2 more and those numbers are lower than they are in real life because simply Audi parts cost much more than on TL or G35 even small stuff like brake pads TL and G35 cost about $60-90 from dealer Audi $130-160. Plus Audi got crazy crank case ventilation piping where every little pipe cost $150-300 and got lots of them and they do go bad often giving you weird hard to find problems, where TL and G35 have none of this crap

yes it is professional summary, i work on those cars every day and i know how it goes

i dont know where/how they got those numbers for maintenance cost
lets just go with few easy examples
replacing spark plugs: Audi-every 40Kmi, TL-every 105Kmi, G35- every 110Kmi
air and cabine filters Audi- every 20Kmi, TL-every 30Kmi, G35- every 30Kmi
replacing timing belt Audi-80K-105Kmi cost $1200-1600 TL-105Kmi cost $500-700 G35- no t/belt cost $0
drain&fill auto trans fluid Audi- every 35Kmi cost$300-400 and only dealer can do it because need special tools and VAG scanner, TL-every 30Kmi cost $100, G35- every 30Kmi cost $110

plus just look at the how much u have to spend on repairs Audi is like X2 more and those numbers are lower than they are in real life because simply Audi parts cost much more than on TL or G35 even small stuff like brake pads TL and G35 cost about $60-90 from dealer Audi $130-160. Plus Audi got crazy crank case ventilation piping where every little pipe cost $150-300 and got lots of them and they do go bad often giving you weird hard to find problems, where TL and G35 have none of this crap
Most of that sounds right, including the crankcase vent hoses. I would never buy an Audi/VW product. However, we are spending the day looking at Coopers specifically, but also staying open to anything that catches out eye.

Here's some interesting info. I researched insurance rates as was recommended and the results were disappointing but understandable:

Current monthly payment for two drivers with $500 deductible for 1996 Avalon:

$63...just to offer a point of comparison

2005 G35 sedan w/ $500 deductible: $227.xx

2005 TL w/ $500 ded.: $201.xx

2005 Mini Cooper w/ $500 ded.: $136.xx

2003 G35: $123.xx

I was shocked at the rate for the '05 G35. With the rate we are getting from Chase, that is near what the payment would be for that car. I'm sorry but there is no fucking way I'm paying almost as much to insure a car as I'm paying for the car. That would be like having a $3000 a month mortgage and paying $3000 a month in HI. Get fucking real.

My wife has wanted a Mini for a long time and since it will be primarily her car, I support that. I think they are pretty sweet and it seems like for the year and mileage range, insurance costs, and fuel consumption, it is the most economical alternative.

Back