Pondering the meaning of life.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1. Shoot for a common goal. Make some sort of a reachable goal to attain, whether it be in your professional life (i.e., promotion, new careers, etc) , or in your personal life (work out, go riding, maybe even a vacation in a few months).

2. To cure the "blah"s, try doing something spontaneous, listen to some music you've never tried, go to a new restaurant, etc.My roomate and I during college used to cure the doldrums of studying by going out and test-driving cars we couldn't remotely afford at the time.

3. Again, common goal. I look ahead to what I hope will be a more fullfilling future, the summer, this weekend, shit...even tomorow. You need to try and find the silver lining, as gay as it sounds. Maybe you need to rethink your life plan if you find yourself just floating from one day to the next.

1. Shoot for a common goal. Make some sort of a reachable goal to attain, whether it be in your professional life (i.e., promotion, new careers, etc) , or in your personal life (work out, go riding, maybe even a vacation in a few months).

2. To cure the "blah"s, try doing something spontaneous, listen to some music you've never tried, go to a new restaurant, etc.My roomate and I during college used to cure the doldrums of studying by going out and test-driving cars we couldn't remotely afford at the time.

3. Again, common goal. I look ahead to what I hope will be a more fullfilling future, the summer, this weekend, shit...even tomorow. You need to try and find the silver lining, as gay as it sounds. Maybe you need to rethink your life plan if you find yourself just floating from one day to the next.
very good words. rep 4 u!

bah, i have some time alone tonight. the wifey is going to be working late. maybe i'll get some booze and watch a movie i don't get to see when i'm with her. maybe eat some fatty foods too. and tomorrow i'll try to figure out a way to get out of this rut.

Why don't you get outdoors? appreciate nature, get some fresh air. I love to go to the beach. Preferably, I'd be out in the water, but just going there is good too. Even if I only am able to go for a few minutes at sunset, it still makes me feel like i did something good that day.

Why don't you get outdoors? appreciate nature, get some fresh air. I love to go to the beach. Preferably, I'd be out in the water, but just going there is good too. Even if I only am able to go for a few minutes at sunset, it still makes me feel like i did something good that day.
you're in southern cali, i'm in seattle. haha. it's been 38 and raining here. can't really go out much.

booze is a depresant asshat. lol

go drop some E or something so you don't kill yourself watching sleepless in seatle tonight

booze is a depresant asshat. lol

go drop some E or something so you don't kill yourself watching sleepless in seatle tonight
haha, i'm not gonna cut my wrists. i'm not that emo. i think i just need to find some local friends. and i'll watch something better than sleepless in seattle. any ideas?

The Departed is a good movie, American Gangster is great too, just long.. Ali G in da house, Borat, Kung Pow are all good if you have a stupid sense of humor, like I do. Sean of the Dead and Hot Fuzz also are good onesm but again, kinda that stupid sense of humor.

you're in southern cali, i'm in seattle. haha. it's been 38 and raining here. can't really go out much.
yea, i didn't mean the beach, but go outside and do something. sitting home drinking on the couch is a shitty way of figuring out how to enjoy life. It may temporarily make you feel better, but you know it won't help you tomorrow or in the long run.

Do you ride mountain bikes or something like that? I know there are a shitload of trails up there if you are into that. Having a sport as a hobby is definitely a good way to find with other people and do stuff.

The Departed is a good movie, American Gangster is great too, just long.. Ali G in da house, Borat, Kung Pow are all good if you have a stupid sense of humor, like I do. Sean of the Dead and Hot Fuzz also are good onesm but again, kinda that stupid sense of humor.

Hot fuzz was kinda stupid-humor-ish, but Shaun of the Dead was pretty deep in places. :)

I find that even 30 minutes in the garage can cure me when I start to get the blahs. Even if I don't get alot done, just messing with a carb or rearranging some tools can do it.

Oh and also:

533cec2166a9e3242c899788a13c7cae.jpg

3e6f2e163777b60f051dd303cde94557.png

527a27b6467fe541a01ae4fb9020dd7e.png

a46e42330b7480e7d16c822f4c55068d.gif

You know that the forums are the wrong places to talk about serious shit :)

Slumps are par for the course. Look around, and take note of how many people would trade their position for yours.

Now, with that complete and utter horseshit out of the way, Allow me to answer : "What is the purpose of life"

Gene Roddenberry was the first in modern culture to answer this question - through Spock. "The purpose of life is to procreate".

Sound reasoning: Dr Who states "Life is Natures way of keeping meat fresh."

The great thing about the REAL purpose of life is that it, like all things, is completely open to interpretation. Lucky for us, Interpretation is completely open to how fucked up in the head you are. So you're in luck !

"Life is what you make it"

Here is another shovel of horseshit. Bon Apetit. But before we completely dismiss this, we can find some validity in it. Since life, and it's purpose, is pretty much completely up to your perception, we can say that "life is what you make it". Sure, why the fuck not ?

I'll give an example. I'm a miserable fucking twat. I am. I know that some of you may be absolutely shocked by that, but it's true. But I'm miserable in a very common way. I'm not happy with my living conditions, I'm not happy with the fact that I'm not making out of my life what I wanted to make out of it. I'm kinda ticked off that I'm not travelling the world. I'm pissed off that my girlfriend wants nothing to do with me. I'm pissed off that I feel so unappreciated in my home. I'm wrenched that everyone thinks of me as the one "that starts a project and never finishes it". I know that the whole world has NO FUCKING CLUE who the hell I am, what I represent or what the Celerity Box has in it.

But, I CAN tell you what I CAN do. And actually, it's actually what I do all the goddam time:

Daydream. Bear with me for a moment, I'm going somewhere with this.

So I get this idea, from years of imaginative daydreaming that I should be working and living in Space. Yes, I'm serious. I should be working and living in space. Within our lives, we all should be doing this. I went on to think about why we aren't.

The honest truth is that no one is ready for living in space. We're all so profoundly fucked up in the head that we would be the Richard Lewis of the galaxy. We're simply not ready. I'll ask you all why, but you don't know. And after the years of thinking of this, I frankly wouldn't sit still and let you schmucks guess at it. So here are some of the reasons, the ones that apply to this conversation:
Human Beings can't treat other species properly. Not even courteously. We can't do this because we have no goddam clue how to treat each other. And I'm not talking about Pakistanis and Indians. I'm talking about how we treat each other, even when we think we are doing so goddam well. The way we treat the opposite sex, for instance, is a complete fucking travesty. Even on a good day.
We can set our sights on a goal. Lets say, we decide to go to Bernard's Star (Alpha Centauri). So we assemble teams, get a program going, and make our way. The crews leave for the voyage, and they are about 7 years out when the project is cancelled because we "kinda lost interest... Sorry. Come on back!" NONE of us have any idea how to finish an idea. It's one of the hardest things for a human to do.
We all treat women poorly. Well, By "we" I mean all men and women. The sexualization of women, and at a younger and younger age has actually set their position and social status back hundreds of years. Talent and skill play no role in a woman's life.
We all treat men poorly. And when I say "we" I mean all women. Yeah, you read that right. Men are the fairer sex, and whereas women have been making huge strides backwards into servitude and brainless goo receptacles, modern man has gone further and further to identify what it takes to be a man. I'll bring the women back when I say this: Notice I say "Identify". Men have Identified what it means to be a man, but very few actually do shit.
So with that, I have identified what my "purpose in life" is. The purpose of mankind is to travel and take advantage of what we have. Whether you believe that it's what God bequeefed us, or what Gaia has formed, or what the Flying Spaghetti Monster has allowed us to perceive, one thing is general: We are given a finite amount of space to occupy, a finite amount of things to experience and a finite amount of things to learn. To do any less would be a tragedy, and would be like spitting on the face of everyone that created you, everyone that has interacted with you, and everyone that has blazed a path before you.
The Purpose of a Man is to be a man. To be considerate to a point of elevation. To circumnavigate the extraneous shit that serves only to confuse and give us illusions. It is to take responsibility and lead - if not others, then ourselves.
The Purpose of a Woman is now different. Women have a lot of catching up to do. The purpose of a woman should be to crush the idea that women are the lesser gender - because for now, that's they way that reality is showing us. The purpose right now is to get a free ride.
Realise that everyone, male and female, are fucked up. This is closely related to Buddha's notion that all people suffer. Yes, it's true that all people suffer, but even so it goes, all people are completely on the wrong track. A social revolution is the only that can swing us all out of it. But as for you, me, and the individual, we can all do this now. With no other tools. Just ourselves.

Lastly, "My Purpose" is a term that isn't quite suited to the Self, and the description of the Self. J Michael Straczynski has given us a sharper tool to work with:
Who are You?
What do you want?
Why are you here?
Start off answering those questions. I know my answers.
I am the person that others go to for help. (This is not the same as "someone that people like", because not one fucker calls me up to go out and party)
I want to live in space. And I will strive to this goal.
I am here to usher in surreality.
Now, identify these things in yourself, and I can proof them in IM if you want. It's a VERY difficult question to answer. And these are only 3 of my 19 that I have formulated.
-> Steve

thank you steve. i never knew you wanted to live in space.

when i have a couple hours away from the gf, i will hit you up on aim. i'm sure we could share a lot of enlightenment with each other.

The nicest gift I gave my girlfriend is time alone. I leave her alone, and offer no criticism. I never say or think things like "You would be great if only you...." or "I would enjoy living with you if only you...". That is Conditional Love, and it is the single most common thing that lovers use to attack each other do immeasurable amounts of damage.

And I do mean "immeasurable". Fathers that don't accept their daughters create daughters with low esteem. Men, not so much - but it still affects us as well. "Well, I'd have sex with you more often if you weren't out with your friends all the damned time". It fucking hurts worse than being stabbed.

A large percentage of what we say and do to each other is simply horrendous.

So all this deep motivational speaking is why you have 211 rep power and a hundred green squares. I knew you were doing something different.

i mean shit, you're frigging zoolander. you make good money... what more do you want?

go spend a night at a shelter if you need a reality check

You of all people know that money doesn't buy happiness. I remember this emo shit coming from you before that Canadian chic, then your ex came along.

If you want my advice, nick. Get rid of the bike, or something that is eating up money and take yourself a little vacation. There's nothing like getting away and just relaxing.

If I hadn't gone to Texas last June, I probably would have pulled my hair out by now, and if I didn't have St Louis to look forward to this summer, I would throw myself off a building.

Back