Pontoonin it up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Fire your welder and get a new one.. Nothing like a sexy "stack of coins" weld on some aluminum..

You need to use 100% argon shielding gas.. Clean before the weld with a stainless steel brush. That will clean up most of that porosity. Those bubbles are contaminants entering through atmospheric gas or contaminated aluminum.

Fire your welder and get a new one.. Nothing like a sexy "stack of coins" weld on some aluminum..

You need to use 100% argon shielding gas.. Clean before the weld with a stainless steel brush. That will clean up most of that porosity. Those bubbles are contaminants entering through atmospheric gas or contaminated aluminum.

Yeah. A lot of the welds aren't even going to be seen because of the siding and the furniture. I know some of the not so pretty welds will be seen on the top of the rail and such, but not too much of a big problem. Plus, some of the welding was being done on thick aluminum, welding it to thinner aluminum, so that made it a little difficult. Plus, dialing in a new welder took some time...we didn't practice on are rails, but on some scrap pieces. Then we were having trouble with the wind. We also had trouble with the wire getting welded inside the tip. There was just non stop problems with them. We tried to make them look semi decent, but there's going to be so much other crap on the boat, not too many people are going to be paying attention to the craftsmanship. It's going to be a party only boat...who wants to look at welds when you can look at some hotties. I do wish they were a nice stack of dimes though...I just don't think our 2 welders had that much experience with welding aluminum. The guy that was going to do them, seemed to never have enough time to get to our rails...

Back