Poor gas milage?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Chizad050

I have a 95 ex auto with a 1.6l vtech and it has 150k on it. I have had a tune up on it around 2 months ago and i have changed the spark plugs, plug wires, oil change and thats it but im still only getting around 18 mpg city at best. Is there any problem areas i should look. Thanks.

What is your driving style? Are you always hard on the gas? Being easy on the gas will make improvements. What does your air filter look like? If that is dirty that could be hurting you to. Tire pressure right pressure? Being to low can cause you to loose mpgs but that does not mean you should jack up the tire pressure to get better mpgs because it will not work just put you and anyone who gets in the car at danger. These are just some things to check I hope this helps.

i dont notice anything leaking i never thought of the air filter now i feel stupid lol, tire pressure is good, and i dont run it too hard i push it a little but im not flooring it every where i go.

when's the last time you changed your coolant and thermostat? is the temp at high noon? if your thermostat never opens, the optimal engine temp isn't reached.

I had a significant loss of fuel mileage when my TPS sensor was acting up and throwing an engine code and the car was running very rich, double check that you don't have any ecu codes.

the car dose not run hot it just gets to the center of the gauge.

Have you tired your fuel filter? Is suppose to be changed also. If you change it I would also buy some of the Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner to help clean out your fuel system.

Keep us updated and let us know if anything changes I hope something works.

well i had it tuned up at a michael tire plus and the oil changed i changed the distributor cap and plug wires im getting to the fuel pump and air filter soon. I got my parts at autozone so i guess you would consider them crap but it does the job and it saves money

You probably do not need to change the fuel pump. I would start with just changing the filter if you have not done that already.

a dirty air filter will definitely screw your MPG up and what about your PVC valve?
Have you changed that?
Also, not having any smoke coming out your tailpipe?

well if you are worried about performance and fuel economy you will ditch the autozone crap and buy OEM let me guess they sold you autolite or bosch spark plugs they are crap remove them and install NGKs.

price diffrences

dizzy cap OEM $17.50 Autozone $15.99
rotor OEM $ 14.84 Autozone $ 13.99
spark plug OEM $2.14 Autozone $1.99-7.99
plug wires OEM $60.00 Autozone $45.99

now that you see that OEM is not much more and the reliability stays there maby you can make better decisions next time and poor quailty inferior parts will give you poor mileage. i think that every one here will agree with me on the fact that oem is about the same price and performance/quality is 1000x better

Back