Poor Mans Type R Build------

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lewellgd

92CivicHatchCxBORNINCALI
Im just got done with my engine swap for my 90 DA----- I was just wondering if you guys think this is a good build and what kind of power you think its going to put out-----

Ys1 Cable Tranny

96 gsr block with b16 head SIR2
block has balaced b20 crank & rods p72 pistions
ACL RACE BEARINGS MAIN & RODS
skunk2 ecu 5500 vtec 8500 rev
7.5 alumunom flywheel
new clucth kit stage2
AC street legel cold air
msd ss baster kit CARB
dc sport headers CARB
misamoto racing radtiotor
bottom block built strong stock sir2 head

it sounds like you should be pushing decent power. nothing too amazing...but you should at least get a 3 angle valve job, and a port and pollish on the head or cams.

Got a head----

No three angle valve job but it is port and polished and i picked up some GSR cams a little more aggressive till i can get some st 2 cams probably Crower.. Its got MILLED .20 HIGHER COMP
NEW VALVE SEALS
JG DUAL VALVE SPRINGS BEST.. MAX REV 13K
JG TITANUM RETAINERS
should be better then stock huh----

i think you spent a lot of your money in the wrong places...

and wtf is with people doing skunk2 chips?!?

you realize that doesnt do shit but hurt you....

question

what cams do you recomend to get for it and the head was already built that way----- Plus i have a choice of two ecus for the engine to run off of the chipped or the stock p61 ecu which is obd1 b17 gsr----- Which one would be betterlet me know

Tune it. Get it tuned. At a shop. On the dyno. Or on the street. With a wideband o2 sensor.

straight chipping isnt gonna cut it. you'll be missing out on power and/or possibly hurting your motor

ahh

i got CTR pistons for it but im scared---- i want it to be somewhat reliable---- CTR pistons might be a little much i got stock b20 crank and ls rods i would have to get some rods for it to----

they are both P61s?

what does it matter? tuning it requires 'chipping' it regardless. if you have a P61 already, toss the current chip and get one made while tuning. That's how tuning works...

stock or modified, the chip gets replaced with the new fuel and ignition tables discovered while on the wideband o2

pr3-p72 or stock p61 something like that---- any way any recomendations on cams

blanco can tell you about cams. i'm no help there.

if your using the GSR manifold, you'll need to run the P72 so you can use the IABs

question

another question the block had the stock head on it for like 2400 miles and the new head prob going to get put on today---- how many miles before i drive it to hard---- the chip hits vtec at 5500 and reds at 8500--- should i give it a couple k miles or does it matter----

its not running dtock manifold its or throttlebody--- dc headers---- also lol i got 2 cats on it cause i was trying to pass smog with stock head lol didnt work just barley missed numbers----- two cats im sure is blockin air flow---

your crazy misinformed....

you shouldnt ever hit the redline to begin with. you shift when your motor stops making power, and that should be like ~7,600rpm. i honestly think people who race and hit the revlimiter every time are a type of rice. it's only slowing you down and hurting your motor. learn that now.

stock manifold and throttle. DC sports. dude.... your talkin about your exhaust manifold. i'm talking about your intake manfold. do you know what an IAB is? Intake Air Bypass Solinoid?

you need to go read a lot. you have some nice parts and your lack of knowledge isnt going to help their longevity.

2 cats? wow, i dont even know what to say to that...

i dont know if there is a break in procedure for a head. someone neesd to answer that for you

and the vtec crossover is supposed to be smooth. it SHOULD NOT kick. if it kicks, the crossover is too high. it shouldnt cause any jerk in accleration. 5,500 sounds really late (high). my B16 crosses over around 4200 smoothly. B18's cross over around 4500.

you need to not beat on it with that stupid chip. go get a friggin tune!

stock cams = stock powerband = stock redline.

Last edited:
i know a lot about swaps and crap like that this is going to be the first internal project for me---- but i know how to race lol i was just asking if i should actualy take it above eight i was going to smash to about 7800 to 8000 then shift---- but thanks for your info rep added-----

right on. well again, go dyno TUNE that sucker, and in the process you will learn your motor's opimum shift point. then set the rev limiter around 600rpm after the shift point. that's only there incase u miss a gear ;)

do you race lines or curves?

Back