poor mans type R

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok i was wondering i have a b16a swaped into my 90 da right now and i was wondering if i should swap the bottom end out for a gsr? i hate my b16a and can i just use the piston out of the b16 into the gsr and make up for comp loss? what do you think i should do?

Take a look around the site for starters. A lot of people have built a poor man's Type R. Their posts can and will be very helpful to you. Inevitably, it is up to YOU, not anyone else on what you should do and not do. After all, it is your sweat, blood, tears, and money being poured into this. Best of luck.

oh i have looked at every posting i just would like same feed back twards my ideas so i know what has gone wrong in the past and what to avoid ya know? thanks tho... i was just thinking should i use my b16 pistons on it for the higher comp or not waste my time and use the gsr pistons for lower comp bcuz sooner of later im gunna turbo it.. and how much slower all motor will be with just stock piston and 3 layer oem gaket? thanks for the input

Ah, I see. Are you thinking of building it for boost or all motor then? It seems like you want boost and if you do, why use higher compression pistons now, you know? I believe I have seen B16 pistons used before, but can definitely say that is not my forte of knowledge.

My build will be built for boost, so I will be using low compression CP Pistons. I am not willing to sacrifice anything by short cutting it and using other stock pistons. The pistons I will be using will be of a 9.0.1 compression. From what I understand, you do end up losing a bit of power on the low end, but if something were to go wrong, you have a better chance of correcting it, due to the lower compression. It leaves a bit more room for error. As with any build, tuning will definitely be the key in not having your engine go boom. :D

see and this is where budget comes into play.. as of now im building it for all motor which is why i want to use my old b16 piston which have like 40k on the but later on after having a bit more money i may want to turbo it....but my goals with this is having more torqe and power then my b16 does.. but i dont really know should i go through all that trouble of switching pistons around.. or is it not really that much of a differance? i can see where the comp. of a b16 vs gsr piston come in to play but this will be my frist time swaping pistons and i dont wannt fuck it up haha but yuou cant really learn with out trying right?:eek:

I really wish I personally knew more about all motor builds. I believe I have seen people use B16 pistons before in order to help raise the compression. If the pistons are in good shape and you're able to, heck, why not use them and save yourself some money. I feel you on the budget part and think it is a good idea that you want to use parts you already have in order to save some. It only makes sense.

I'd personally rather learn about things first before trying them, because think about this...if you were to build your motor, get everything together and as you were getting it tuned BAM! things started falling apart because you were just "guessing" when putting your build together...yeah, that would not be such a kosher feeling. I'm going to ask about your question so that perhaps I am able to help you out further. Right now I would say take your time and do your research so you end up with a strong, reliable build.

By the way, what are your horse power goals?

I cant answer your question on which to use, however when i built my lsvtec i used itr pistons and my homie has the exact same motor setup with gsr pistons except i have no aftermarket exhaust even stock headers but i am running a stage four clutch(pain in the ass if you ask me for daily driving) and a 8.5 lb flywheel and hes just running a stage two and 12.5 fly but hes got i/h/e and i still fly past him. So i feel the difference between these two because of compression i would imagine.

but my goals with this is having more torqe and power then my b16 does.. but i dont really know should i go through all that trouble of switching pistons around.. or is it not really that much of a differance? :eek:

b16's can be way fun... And a GSR bottom end is only going to get you a few lbft...

If you want to feel a difference look into transmissions. What are you using now? A b16 on a long tranny is lame... but so is a gsr.

The smart money is on a tranny. Gaining 15 hp and a few pounds of torque will hardly be noticeable.

If you're wanting more torque and power, especially torque, why not get a B20 bottom end and build yourself an LSVTEC?

im using a lsd b16 tranny and yes my car is fun i just need more speed haha but i came arcoss a new idea... stock gsr bottom end with my built 16a head leaving me around 9:1 comp and then turbo 10psi? more tq. and top end muhaha what do you guys think about that?

well in all honesty what we think shouldn't matter too much unless it is telling you what not to do as it is a waste of time and money.

built b16 head on GSR block lower compression great for high revving. turbo I personally am not a huge fan of but to each their own. b16 tranny will give you nice short gears get into your hp easier or quicker. I would definitely reccomend taking it in for a solid tune if you are going turbo on it as well.

why do you guys think im gunna make a deciesion based on what you tell me i know alot of ppl have these setups and i wanna know how good it worked and key things i might look out for... or something im missing... i just would like some input so i consider everything before i do this.. becuase i am but one mind thinking.... throw in other ppls experiacne and knowadge and opinion then i can consider all sides

Back