Poor Philadelphians...... lol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94RedSiGal

City of Brotherly Love Kicks Off Gay Ad Campaign
Wed Jun 2, 2004 11:28 AM ET

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love, has launched the first U.S. television advertising campaign to promote a city as a gay destination, officials said on Wednesday.

In the television commercial, a young man in colonial attire writes a letter inviting his beloved to meet him at Independence Hall, one of the city's main tourist attractions.

The man is approached by a woman who glances at him but passes by before another man greets the letter writer and accepts flowers.

The spot emphasizes the city's historic attractions and its friendliness to gay travelers and is part of a three-year, $1 million campaign using the slogan "Philadelphia - Get Your History Straight and Your Nightlife Gay."

"The gay market is an extension of our leisure marketing efforts for the destination and complements our programs for other types of travelers," said Meryl Levitz, president of the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corp.

The group estimates that the U.S. gay travel market is worth $54 billion annually.

Philadelphia means "brotherly love" in Greek.

didnt the greeks used to take little boys uner their wings as apprentices and have sex with them on a regular basis?

wasnt it the greeks who fucked each other in the ass before battle as a sign of power and good luck?

Glad im of roman/etruscan ancestry.....The worst we did was feed a few Christians to the lions and massacred people for sport :thumbsup:

we'll, once my white sheets, hood and combat boots are ready to be picked up at the local dry cleaners, I know where I'm spending my vacation this summer :p

Hey. Philly is fucking great. Yes. There is an abundance of gay people here. Everywhere. When I first moved to the area, I was in awe (okay more like shock, and trying to figure out what neighborhoods to NOT venture into..). Yes. There are that many. :ph34r:

:rant: *And the worst part is that they all love to put those damn rainbow stickers on their cars to announce to the world who they like to fuck. Yesterday I saw a beautiful black TT with those fucking stickers on the back. I'm sittin here like what the fuck, do you want me puttin I LOVE DICK and ONLY DICK, PLEASE stickers everywhere (let alone on my car!!) so you know what I like?? I just don't understand the need to announce your sexual habits to everyone, and furthermore, WHY in the FUCK would you deface a beautiful car like that??

/rant

But at least a gay neighborhood is safer to walk around in than a ghetto one. Plus the restaurants will have great food! :p

A gay neighborhood is only safe if you don't drop anything, if you do, don't pick it up. What is so funny, is if a gay person puts a rainbow on their car it is self expression, but if I put a sticker on my car saying "I hate niggers" I will get outcast, because it is the same self expression. I have nothing against blacks or gays, but it seems to me that any minority have double standards.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Jun 2 2004, 01:22 PM
A gay neighborhood is only safe if you don't drop anything, if you do, don't pick it up. What is so funny, is if a gay person puts a rainbow on their car it is self expression, but if I put a sticker on my car saying "I hate niggers" I will get outcast, because it is the same self expression. I have nothing against blacks or gays, but it seems to me that any minority have double standards.

:huh: Uhhhh no. There is quite a difference between racism (which is legally considered a hate crime and therefore possibly jail time if acted upon) and homosexuality (which, to my knowledge, you cannot be thrown in jail for). They're not the same at all. :p

Hate crimes deal with sexual orientation as well. I can put a "I hate fags" sticker and no crime has been commited. Some states have laws banning sodomization, I am sure a few gay couples live in that state, wouldn't that be illegal?

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Jun 2 2004, 02:22 PM

What a homophobe! I know a few gay men and trust me, they aren't into molesting straight guys. They aren't that desperate... they have plenty of choices for company within their ranks.

There's a big difference with announcing your sexual persuasion or interests (like a HondaSwap decal) with a sticker on your car versus telling the world that you hate some undeserving group.

And in terms of double standards within any minority, it's all in the true intent and attitude. There is just funning around and then there is outright frothing at the mouth hate. It's a big difference.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Jun 2 2004, 01:29 PM
Hate crimes deal with sexual orientation as well. I can put a "I hate fags" sticker and no crime has been commited. Some states have laws banning sodomization, I am sure a few gay couples live in that state, wouldn't that be illegal?

I said if it was acted upon. You totally missed my point, which was that displaying a "hey look at me i'm gay" sticker is NOT the same as a "I hate *insertethnicgrouphere*". One is considered hateful and just downright not nice, so of course you're going to be "outcasted" and looked down upon. You're not hurting anyone by putting a "HEYI'MGAY!!" sticker on your car. My point was that it's merely annoying. My point was that racism/segregation is illegal (Equal Opportunity Employers Act, etc etc), and that being a homosexual is not. :)

As far as your question goes, that's pretty interesting, seriously. I've gotta admit that I haven't taken too much time to think about gays and the laws they may be violating :p

What a homophobe! I know a few gay men and trust me, they aren't into molesting straight guys. They aren't that desperate... they have plenty of choices for company within their ranks.

Umm... I was joking around when I said that. It would be like me saying that the next time I go through a bad neighborhood, don't bring any flour or powdered doughnuts, because the crack heads will jump you thinking it is crack.

And in terms of double standards within any minority, it's all in the true intent and attitude. There is just funning around and then there is outright frothing at the mouth hate. It's a big difference.

By the double standard I meant, a gay person or minority don't want to be treated any different than another person, yet they complain they don't have enough rights. Or the police harass them more than the next person. To some extent that may be true, however, your attitude/attire comes into play when being approached by a police officer. Or maybe you didn't get hired for a job, not because you are gay, but because there was someone better qualified for the job. I am not just excluding minorities, I am hispanic myself, and I can't stand some of the people in my community. I have been pulled over multiple times, and I have never been harassed, but I bet that if I had shaved my head, only button the top button on my shirt, with a wife beater underneath, wear my pants up to my chest, a bandana on my forehead, a police officer would be much more suspicious with good reason.

I'm in 100% agreement. And yeah, most gay men don't try to pick people up, but I've been accosted and followed around by same queers in my life - In fact, South Street in Philly was the last place that happened.

South Street is a blend of cultural and ethnic blocks that are an incredible site to walk down. Gays are just, as usual, the ones that want all the attention. You don't see the Haitians going nuts about how "Haitian" Philadelphia is because of them.

A little word on the Gay agenda. And for once, I'm NOT in the mood to type 3 pages of it, so instead I'll credit this work with The Misanthropic Bitch. (www.misanthropic-bitch.com)

The Homosexual Agenda

Let's dispense with the stereotypes. I am not a nut. I am not a foaming-at-the-mouth right-winger. Nor am I a closet homosexual compensating for the guilt I experience because of dirty, dirty sexual feelings.
I am simply pro-parent and pro-family. I am for the children, and as such, I undertook a daunting task that took me to the seamy underbelly of America's sexual culture.

It was shocking. Horrifying, even. But my eyes and ears did not deceive me. What my minister at Landover Baptist Church told me was true.

Homosexuals have an agenda, and I am here to expose it.

What spurred me to infiltrate the homosexual camp and find out what fiendish plot they were cooking up?

It was The Christopher Lowell Show on the Discovery Channel.

I know I should have watched my son Joseph more carefully. But I only turned my back for a few minutes to write a letter to my congressman encouraging him to ban this Internet thing I keep hearing about on "The 700 Club." Homosexuals are using it to lure innocent children into a life of perversion!

God has blessed us with many technological and medical advances over the years, such as fertility drugs that allow infertile Christian couples to keep our ranks populated.

A heathen might argue that if God wanted infertile couples to have children, he would have given them the necessary plumbing to aid procreation. That's just crazy Pagan talk.

So, while I praise God for recent advances, this Internet thing has me worried. I haven't been so worried since I learned that Tinkie Winkie bats for the other team. That revelation prompted me to regulate television viewing in my home, and now little Joseph only watches the God-approved Veggie Tales.

(Although Larry the Cucumber is rather phallic. I'm starting a letter-writing campaign tomorrow to change his character to Larry the Squash.)

In order to finish my letter, I left Joseph in front of the television watching the wholesome Veggie Tales. I thought it would be safe. I've told Joseph not to change the channel, and he knows to mind his mother.

After I finished addressing, stuffing and licking the envelope, Joseph walked into the dining room and exclaimed, "Mommy, the wall trimming doesn't match the curtains!"

The wall trimming doesn't match the curtains. I was speechless. My little man, who enjoyed re-enacting The Crusades with his GI Joe action figures, berated me for my interior decorating.

What did I do wrong? I pondered. Didn't I refrain from unconditional love? Didn't I make him eat steak every night? Didn't his father take him to all of those Promise Keepers meetings? Didn't we buy him Austin 3:16 t-shirts?

As this was racing through my mind, I heard a lispy voice emanating from the living room, and it was then that I realized I can only do much to protect my son from the homosexuals. They were now taking over the airways and beaming their interior decorating tips to America's sons.

What could I do? How could I stop them? Well, as former Christian Coalition leader Ralph Reed once said, "Keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer." I had to – for my son, for all of our sons and daughters – find out what the homosexuals were planning.

I told my best friend Maggie what I planned to do. She shook her head and asked why I was obsessed with homosexuals. She didn't understand. Most Americans don't. They're oblivious to the threat.

To them, Ellen is just a harmless, marginally funny comedienne and Rupert Everett is a strikingly handsome actor.

But no more. I'm bringing the threat to light. You're going down, Ellen and Rupert.

Not knowing any homosexuals, I ventured to the local feminist bookstore. Lesbians go there. I've seen them, canoodling and pretending that eternal damnation doesn't await them.

An odd-looking woman named Ani DiFranco was scheduled to appear at the bookstore on a Wednesday night, and a poetry "slam" was to follow. This was my chance.

I threw on my husband's flannel shirt and a pair of old jeans. I wasn't sure I'd blend in, but the lesbians accepted me with open arms. I concocted a life story, and they ate it up. I was in.

They told me that the next meeting was at the secret room in the Pottery Barn downtown. The password was "mimosa" for the men and "beer" for the women.

I didn't dare tell my husband what I was planning. He's forever condemning my "meddlesome" plans. "Mrs. Kravitz" he calls me. Well, I'd show him, once I had my hands on The Homosexual Agenda.

I sneaked out of the house the night of the meeting, telling my husband that I was attending Mary Perganol's baby shower.

Mary's bed-ridden because she's pregnant with nonuplets, and the ladies at Landover Baptist wanted to cheer her up. Carrying nine of God's blessings at one time can bring down even the most dedicated Christian woman.

Finding the Pottery Barn wasn't difficult. There was a parade of rainbow flag-covered cars lining the street. I walked around to the back and knocked on the door.

"Whasss the pathword?" said a disembodied voice. I stammered for a second, and finally blurted out, "Beer!"

I heard the door being unlocked. I was in. I was definitely in.

Seated in a circle were the town's homosexuals, many of whom were prominent citizens. This went further than I had suspected. Even the mayor Judy Bennett was there! But I had pegged her as part of the plot. Real women stay at home with their children.

I won't bore you with the details of the meeting, other than to say Councilman Bruce Thompson's Salmon Benedict was delish. All that matters is that I secured a copy of the official Homosexual Agenda directly from the Head Homosexual – Christopher Lowell himself!

The agenda starts out innocently enough: breakfast, jog in the park, manicure and hair appointment, watch "Martha Stewart Living," brunch.

It's the 2 O'clock hour that strikes fear in my heart:

1) Assume complete control of federal, state and local governments. Refurbish Oval Office. Move headquarters to Christopher Street.
2) Break down children's natural resistance to homosexuality through the musical video "That's Homosexuality!"
3) Petition for recognition of homosexual marriages, thus destroying all healthy heterosexual unions, particularly those in the Bible Belt.
4) Erect re-education camps to convert heterosexuals.
5) Establish breeding gulags to feed our desire for a continuous stream of prepubescent love slaves.
6) Force all churches to embrace Unitarian-Universalism.
7) Turn the Internet into a bastion of homo/lesbo love.
8) Get beauty rest to prevent wrinkles and gray hair caused by the stress of plotting for world domination.

With this proof of an impending homosexual takeover, I stormed over to my friend Maggie's house and threw The Homosexual Agenda in her lap. She glanced at the paper, giggled and mouthed, "It's a joke."

A joke! Well, I was indignant. As I looked at my unbelieving friend, I clicked my tongue and said, "Maggie, wait until I tell you what the queers are doing to the soil."

Well... minorities being discriminating against or receiving preferential treatment... the balance is perpetually swinging back and forth. I know that I got my job at Merlin Metalworks because I was cool and a girl. They wanted a more balanced work environment. So many people have the same qualifications on paper, finally it comes down to who would be nicer to work with. *shrug*

About rainbow stickers and flaming queens, well I would much rather know that someone is gay, than to make a mistake about it. So many gays hide their gayness during childhood from their family and friends that it is only natural for them to want to be exuberant about it when they finally feel comfortable enough to tell rest of the world.

How you present yourself to the rest of the world does have an effect on their first impressions of you. One of my pet peeves is non-black kids acting all tough and ghetto-like, I sure hope that they know how to act like civilized people at work, because they look like idiots to me. And as they age, they will look more and more stupid while they act out being so gansta. And I hate that blonde chick character in Whoopi Goldberg's tv show. :angry:

Originally posted by Celerity@Jun 2 2004, 02:08 PM

South Street is a blend of cultural and ethnic blocks that are an incredible site to walk down. Gays are just, as usual, the ones that want all the attention. You don't see the Haitians going nuts about how "Haitian" Philadelphia is because of them.

:nod: South Street is fantastic. So is Broad, the avenue of the arts. And Rittenhouse Square, and all the highways that go through the city make for great laps. I love this city, it's beautiful, and there's always something to do. :)

Going back to the whole minority thing... forget it. It's always going to be this way. Women will get places men can't because they're females, men will get paid more because they're men. In today's society there is a stigma attached to nearly everything, and although it seems like we're "advancing", we're really not. Those stigmas will be there for the rest of our lives and beyond, so there's no sense in bitching about them, know what I mean? This country was founded on racism, sexism, and "patriotism" to its fullest extent, and that's how it will remain (for the foreseeable future, anyway).

And people will act they way they want to act. White kids trying to be "black" (whatever that means, how does one "act black", anyway? Oh that's right, we're going by a stereotype here) just make me smile. Who am I to judge or tell someone they don't have a right to act the way they want to? I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I really don't care one way or the other, as long as you're not affecting me or my way of life. :shrug2:

Did that make any sense? I am tired. :p

How you present yourself to the rest of the world does have an effect on their first impressions of you. One of my pet peeves is non-black kids acting all tough and ghetto-like, I sure hope that they know how to act like civilized people at work, because they look like idiots to me. And as they age, they will look more and more stupid while they act out being so gansta. And I hate that blonde chick character in Whoopi Goldberg's tv show.

With the quote of non-black kids acting black/ghetto, I completely disagree. If you live in a prodominantly black/ghetto neighborhood, you will almost undoubtedly act like your peers, however, I have a problem where suburb living Johnny acts like he had a hard life and what not. You have no experience in that area, so why act like you life is like that? If they really wanted to live that way, they would sacrifice everything they ever own/had and move in with Jerome and Lequisha, struggling to pay rent, raise kids, and could be hooked on drugs.

Going back to the whole minority thing... forget it. It's always going to be this way. Women will get places men can't because they're females, men will get paid more because they're men. In today's society there is a stigma attached to nearly everything, and although it seems like we're "advancing", we're really not. Those stigmas will be there for the rest of our lives and beyond, so there's no sense in bitching about them, know what I mean? This country was founded on racism, sexism, and "patriotism" to its fullest extent, and that's how it will remain (for the foreseeable future, anyway).

I have to completely disagree with this statement, because without minorities fighting for their rights, we could still have extreme segregration. There has been a lot of progress, but the progress that has been made has been feasible. For example, sharing a fountain/restroom with a white person is understandable. But when a minority complains that they are intellectualy inferior to a white person but yet they still want to be treated the same is ignorant. By intellectualy inferior I mean the use of Affirmative Action. I think that is the worse thing for a minority to even go after. You can't have extra support and be considered equal in my opinion. I am hispanic as I have stated before, and I know for one that hard work, is all it takes to be in college, it is not that you can't make it into college because you are black/hispanic, you can't make it in because you are lazy. I understand this because I am a lazy person. I didn't finish college because I am hispanic, I half-assed all through High School got shitty grades, not because I am uneducated, but because of my attitude.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Jun 2 2004, 04:23 PM
With the quote of non-black kids acting black/ghetto, I completely disagree. If you live in a prodominantly black/ghetto neighborhood, you will almost undoubtedly act like your peers, however, I have a problem where suburb living Johnny acts like he had a hard life and what not. You have no experience in that area, so why act like you life is like that? If they really wanted to live that way, they would sacrifice everything they ever own/had and move in with Jerome and Lequisha, struggling to pay rent, raise kids, and could be hooked on drugs.

Well one of my favorite actors is Sidney Poitier. He came out of a background of extreme island poverty (his mom would sell gravel that she made from breaking up larger rocks in her yard) and not only was he successful, but he speaks beautifully and in an educated way. He did it with deliberate effort.

Acting ghetto and continuing to act ghetto, whether or not you live in the slums is shortsighted. Some will do it because it is their background, but that can be overcome with concious effort. For those who do it because they are from the suburbs and are just trying to be cool, well it's very high school level chic. For jobs where the staff is to be in the public eye or ear, employers appreciate applicants that are presentable and well-spoken.

It's a very good thing to once in a while step back and see how others view you. That's one way to get ahead in life.

Back