Poorman's Type R

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tsullivan91

Hey everyone I'm new here. Hope this is the right section for this. I have searched a little but haven't found much so if anyone knows any links please post. This is also my build thread.

I'm wanting to get ready for my winter build. I just got a B16A2 swap and wanting to make more power. I was thinking about building a "Poorman's Type R" (GSR block with B16 head). I have seen a lot of them around but I was wanting it to have a longer stroke so use LS crank and rods. I know some people are gonna ask why I don't just do LS/Vtec. Simply because GSRs are already vtec and that saves me a lot of work and CTR pistons don't clear the deck height for LS/Vtec.

So far the only real parts I have is the B16 swap. Some people would want to boost it, I thought about it a lot but I want to go the NA route this time. I should be swapping the B16 into a shell within the next 2 weeks. I'm picking up a LS crank this week and CTR pistons soon.

If anyone has any ideas or help please post, thanks in advanced.

be careful with ctr pistons. they sit higher than gsr/b16 pistons do (above the deck). they also do not fit LS rods.

pctvspr3pistongif.jpg

i'd suggest jdm p30 pistons. They fit ls rods and you won't have deck issues, and its still a nice bump in compression over the gsr pistons (about 6cc more dome area, ctr are ~9)

yes, jdm pistons have about .2:1 more compression than the usdm ones do.

the key to making good power all motor is headwork (assuming the compression is good already).
a solid cam that matches your compression ratio, good vales (3 or 5 angle) ported ports and a high flow intake manifold, intake, header and exhaust, and of course, the correct fuel and tune to support it all.

yes, jdm pistons have about .2:1 more compression than the usdm ones do.

the key to making good power all motor is headwork (assuming the compression is good already).
a solid cam that matches your compression ratio, good vales (3 or 5 angle) ported ports and a high flow intake manifold, intake, header and exhaust, and of course, the correct fuel and tune to support it all.

So you prefer the JDM ones?
I plan on going with Toda Spec B cams and gears, along with a Toda valve train. If anyone knows a site or link about more info about Toda please share.
And for intake manifold I was going to go with an AEBS.
About the 3 and 5 angle, I'm not very experienced and still trying to learn if you could please explain.
I have a local guy to tune the car and chip the ecu.

For now I'm just going to throw a B16A2 into a shell to get around and have some fun with.
I will post pics here pretty soon.

Still no pics but picked up a few parts. Got a LS crank, ITR cams, Type R crank pulley.

where the F u got itr cams???? i been looking for some type r cams....im doing the same thing execpt i got the gsr block and it needs to be bored.....ccause it got some deep scraches!!!also, i got my b16a2 swap into my civic 200 ex!!!

Back