popping or backfiring when i shift!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

silicon_ghost

I was wondering if anyone could help me? I got a 93 Honda del sol si, and everytime i shift it pops or backfires. It seems like it does it when i am in low rpm's and doesnt do it as much when i am in high rpm's. is it a normal thing for hondas when you start modifiing them? anything would help..thanks

what engine? sounds like timing might be off. I can make my car pop(sounds like back fire or something) if i am cruising at like 3500-4000 and I punch it, let off, and punch it again(my car also has DOHC VTEC, with race cams, build head)

Sometiems an exhaust with piping too big for your setup it can happen. When I put dual exhaust on my old(new) truck a 2003 s10 I got popping once in a while.

i got a d16z6 sohc. the guy that owned it before me didnt really know what he was doing and i was told that he messed with the timing. he said it sounds fast when it pops... How do i tell if the timing has been changed?

Buy a helms and read up on the "check your timing" section.

You will need like 1 hour and a timing light.
And tell that asshat that said "it sounds fast when it pops" that it is probably doing damage to the engine. :fr:

Back