1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

popping or backfiring when i shift!!

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by silicon_ghost, Jun 16, 2004.

1. silicon_ghost

silicon_ghost Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone could help me? I got a 93 Honda del sol si, and everytime i shift it pops or backfires. It seems like it does it when i am in low rpm's and doesnt do it as much when i am in high rpm's. is it a normal thing for hondas when you start modifiing them? anything would help..thanks

2. cycloneb18c3

cycloneb18c3 Senior Member

what engine? sounds like timing might be off. I can make my car pop(sounds like back fire or something) if i am cruising at like 3500-4000 and I punch it, let off, and punch it again(my car also has DOHC VTEC, with race cams, build head)

3. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

Sometiems an exhaust with piping too big for your setup it can happen. When I put dual exhaust on my old(new) truck a 2003 s10 I got popping once in a while.

4. silicon_ghost

i got a d16z6 sohc. the guy that owned it before me didnt really know what he was doing and i was told that he messed with the timing. he said it sounds fast when it pops... How do i tell if the timing has been changed?

5. zueke

zueke Senior Member

Buy a helms and read up on the "check your timing" section.

You will need like 1 hour and a timing light.
    And tell that asshat that said "it sounds fast when it pops" that it is probably doing damage to the engine. :fr:

6. silicon_ghost

thanks for the help. what kind of damage could it be doing to my engine?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted