1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

porting and polishing

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Ignorant import guy, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Ignorant import guy

Ignorant import guy Senior Member

can somebody explain to me how much a port and polish job typically costs and what new parts are needed after the machine work is done...i think i was told new valves were needed...if that's so where can i get a good set of valves and what size will they need to be?

2. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

$billion.5
    Valves/seals/toothbrush
    39.4inches.

WTF?
    You didn't tell us what car, what head,what motor... are you just porting the head, or are you also match-porting the manis?
    New valves are usually suggested but not always needed?

3. Ignorant import guy

4. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

do it yourself!!! it's not that hard. seriously, and on a head that cheap, if you mess up, you can spend like $50 and get a new one. Regardless of who does the porting, new valves aren't needed unless you have messed up ones, or are getting larger valves, obviously. You just need to get a good multiangle valvejob done by a reputable shop, as a good valvejob is where you are going to gain most of your flow anyway. New valveseals, and cleaning job on the head, and you should be set. I recommend upgrading the valvesprings if you are going for performance, in order to rev a little higher, but it's not necessary.

5. 97CTR

97CTR Senior Member

Ok hold on, were talking about porting a d16y7 head. Thats like putting 20's on a geo metro. Save your money for something else, maybe a turbo, engine swap, head swap etc.

6. Ignorant import guy

hey thanks for the info on the porting.....and well i originally wanted to swap the engine to a b16a2, well i'm 16 which means limited funding, so that and like one other thing would be all i could do so i was told it would smarter to port and polish the head to get the maximum result out of a used turbo kit i plan on buying.

7. 97CTR

97CTR Senior Member

save your money on the port and polish and use it for something else

8. Ignorant import guy

ok, do you think i should listen to the guy about valve springs though because i do want a turbo on my car eventually

9. Ignorant import guy

well i'm buying a stage 2 cam

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted