porting and polishing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ignorant import guy

can somebody explain to me how much a port and polish job typically costs and what new parts are needed after the machine work is done...i think i was told new valves were needed...if that's so where can i get a good set of valves and what size will they need to be?

Quoted post[/post]]
can somebody explain to me how much a port and polish job typically costs and what new parts are needed after the machine work is done...i think i was told new valves were needed...if that's so where can i get a good set of valves and what size will they need to be?
$billion.5
Valves/seals/toothbrush
39.4inches.

WTF?
You didn't tell us what car, what head,what motor... are you just porting the head, or are you also match-porting the manis?
New valves are usually suggested but not always needed?

do it yourself!!! it's not that hard. seriously, and on a head that cheap, if you mess up, you can spend like $50 and get a new one. Regardless of who does the porting, new valves aren't needed unless you have messed up ones, or are getting larger valves, obviously. You just need to get a good multiangle valvejob done by a reputable shop, as a good valvejob is where you are going to gain most of your flow anyway. New valveseals, and cleaning job on the head, and you should be set. I recommend upgrading the valvesprings if you are going for performance, in order to rev a little higher, but it's not necessary.

Ok hold on, were talking about porting a d16y7 head. Thats like putting 20's on a geo metro. Save your money for something else, maybe a turbo, engine swap, head swap etc.

hey thanks for the info on the porting.....and well i originally wanted to swap the engine to a b16a2, well i'm 16 which means limited funding, so that and like one other thing would be all i could do so i was told it would smarter to port and polish the head to get the maximum result out of a used turbo kit i plan on buying.

save your money on the port and polish and use it for something else

Quoted post[/post]]
Yeah, don't spend money on porting a Y7 head. You don't really even need the P&P right now anyway. You'll get a lot more of a gain, for a lot less, by just swapping a Y8 head onto your block.
ok, do you think i should listen to the guy about valve springs though because i do want a turbo on my car eventually

Back