possible alternator problems?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Honzik707

alright, so basically, blew up my d16y7, did the d16y8 swap with harness and ecu over the weekend, i just replaced my alternator yesterday, and today, i fired up my car, drove it around the block and to school, then on my way home, it was raining so i had my lights, wiper, radio and heater on, and my check engine light is always on because i blew out my o2 sensors, and all the lights in my dash pulsate (go dim and light back up) untill my stereo turns off, and my lights are almost to dim to even see, then if i jumpstart my car the lights will pulsate for about 5 seconds and then stay lit up for about 10 mins or so of it running then start to slowly die out like that again, i cant seem to find out whats wrong with it, and im newer to the honda community, so if you could get back to me asap and pretty clear instructions on what to check, that would be lovely lol.
thanks in advance.

if you have access to a multimeter

step 1:
hook up the meter to your battery check voltage should be ~13 volts

step2:
turn on your headlights for 10- 15 min car off watch the volts go down. then start car an check if the alt is recharging it

your checking if the battery and alt are good. my guess is you have a short somewhere but its a start

let me correct that post,
my alternator will work then shut off, like all the time, but mostly when the headlights are on.
like ill jump start it, and all the lights will be lit up strong, and i can go pull a terminal and it will be running off the alternator, but then i could turn on my headlights and about 5 minutes later all the lights will start pulsating, and then when i kill it, and try to start it the battery is dead, and if i jump it without the headlights it will start up fine and the alternator will be working but if i start it with the lights on and try to pull a terminal off and my car will die.
so i think somewhere the headlights short out the alternator but idk where i would start to chcking for that. any more ideas? lol

i may be mistaken but iirc you can fry the alternator doin that.
start checking fuses and relays. im not much help when it comes down to wiring problems but just start ohm testing wires. if you have aftermaket headlights or anything else hacked into the factory wiring start there.

someone else with more knowledge on this feel free to chime in anytime

yea its bone stock, and i have another ecu imma try in the morning and see if it works and ill test around and see whats up, thanks for the help man

Back