Possible Bases for my Build-up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Silverhondaguy

I have a '99 Honda Civic EX that is going to be getting an engine transplant.
It has an OBD II wiring harness. My questions are as follows: can i use the B18a out of a '93 integra for my block and then put a vtec head on it for an ls/vtec motor? If i can, does the head need to be an OBD II compatible head? Can I use the b18a internals, or if not, what needs to be used in the block? OR do i need to use the b18b block with the vtec head? OR Should i just try to find a complete Gsr motor and then do new pistons and new cams? OR is it better to just go with a B16?Any information that you guys could throw my way would be great....I am kind of new to this specifically, but i do have a pretty good general knowledge...thanks again guys... I it will work, i would really like to use the b18a setup because i have access to one for cheap :worthy:

get a obd2 --> obd1 conversion harness and buy an obd1 gsr swap from hmotorsonline. you could get the ls and do an ls/vtec conversion... but you sound like a tool... so make it as easy as possible on yourself and get the gsr swap.

you really are asking about 14 different setups. I'm not going to waste the time describing everything. you need to pick one.

Straight up, using the b18a for anything but the block is going to be an uber pain in the ass. Of course its cheap- its 10-15 years old.

If I were you, i'd sell the b18a (and if you got it for cheap, turn a profit on it) and pick up a 99-00 civic si B16a2. it will, for the most part, bolt right in, and wire right up with the wire harness.

Anything else, you are looking at getting the si mounts, wireing head aches, and ecu problems.

:worthy: thanks for the info guys...i think i like the ls/vtec idea, either that or an ls with a turbo...sorry if i sound like a tool, but im kinda new to some of this stuff...will the ls rods be strong enough for a turbo if i get them shot peened? or what do you guys suggest...i know this leaves alot open, but im looking for the best ideas you guys have...

Back