Possible noob question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AJW

Hello all. First off I would like to say that this is an awesome forum, I've learned quite a bit just reading through many of the posts. There is one thing that I've been searching for for about the last 2 hours and can't find info on it.

I've got a CANADIAN 1999 Civic Si (US Civic EX) which has the D16Y8 engine in it. I'm wanting to swap in a B16 and everything seems to be a fairly straight forward bolt-in deal, except for the whole OBD mixing and matching. I've found a fairly good deal ($1500) on a B16A1 which is an OBD0 . My car is an OBD2. I'm also from a place in canada where there are no emissions testing so swapping in an engine with a lower OBD is not an issue.

My question is the wiring, and if there is a posting that addresses this issue please direct me to it because I can't find it and I've been searching for a while.

Will the wiring harness from my car fit the engine (aside from VTEC wiring)? Will I need an OBD adaptor? Should I just forget the deal and go with a newer B16A2 that is already OBD2 (and also several hundred dollars more) and will be almost a direct wiring plug in?

I think Civicious has done the same swap I'm looking to do so any comments he has would be appreciated.

Thanks

One other thing I wanted to know. Are USDM and JDM harnasses different? If I get a JDM engine that is OBD2, will it fit? Basically, I want to do a swap that is as painless as possible (like I'm sure everyone wants to do). i've done a few swaps on vehicles that have blown their engines and I've just swapped in the same engine which is usually really easy except for the usual dumb little things. I've never swapped a different engine into a car, but I've heard and read that Honda's brilliant engineers have made it real easy.

Also here's a link to an engine I'm looking at (which I do believe is JDM) http://www.jdmsource.ca/honda/b16a1.html.

Also, if ya'll know of any places that have fairly decent deals on B16's I'd appreciate the links. I do like in Canada so the closer the better cause shipping will kill me. The reason I'm looking at jdmsource is because I can pick up the engine. I already know about hmotorsonline and revhighonline which seem to have decent pricing. All info is appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Sorry I didn't read all your posts. I am tired but I had to respond to this. NEVER try and swap a past generation engine into your car. You will have a wiring nightmare. There was one guy on here who got a "great deal" on a b16 which turned out to be obd0. Guess what happen? The car occupied his brothers garage (who was an electrical engineer) for over 6 months of non stop work. If you put in the right engine, a swap should not take your more then 3 days. since your car is OBD2, your only options would be obd2 engines, like the b16a2, ITR, GSR, ect.

WTF he lol how did you get your b16 from jdm for 1500? cause thats what i got mine for and it was supposed to be hush hush.

you can get a obd1 engine and it will work just fine im runing a obd1 b18b in my 97 hatch and i used my obd2 harness and the only thing i had to do was change plug on dizzy and im runing a skunk2 obd2 to obd1 adapter harness with the obd1 ecu. obd1 and 2 are vritualy the same motors there both grey plug motors just stay away from a obd0 white plugmotor this will cause some wiring issues.

Thanks for the info, and now I have a couple more questions. lol

The JDM B16A2 is OBD1. I think the only OBD2 B16A2 is the ones found in the USDM 99 - 00 Civic si's.

The Skunk2 wiring adaptor will work great for the JDM swap. However, I want to run the Greddy turbo kit after the swap. Will running this adaptor affect anything when I want to run a piggy-back FMU like safc, or even just with the Greddy FMU? I don't see why it would but it can't hurt to ask. Better yet, has anyone done this swap and then turbo'd it?

Geez there's a lot of junk to think about when you're doing this eh?

yes you can still run a gready emanage jest get it for the obd1 car. and if you are going to turbo it why not go with a ls swap trans and motor are better for boost

Originally posted by 97hatch@Apr 1 2004, 07:47 PM
yes you can still run a gready emanage jest get it for the obd1 car. and if you are going to turbo it why not go with a ls swap trans and motor are better for boost

misleading, misleading, misleading :roll:

1500 is ok price. the local shop sells them around here for 1200 +sh(1450 usually)(SIR 1)

I havent been working on hondas for all that long but i think you will also have to get a hydro to cable tranny conversion. With all of the conversions you are going to have to do it might just be easier and take a lot less time to just go with a motor that is just a bolt-on and your done.

yeah dude, the money you saved on the motor will multiply two fold in the headaches this swap will cause you- sell the first gen b16a to something with a crx and go to hmotorsonline and get a motor that is the same OBD as your car

Back