Possible Paypal scam or honest mistake?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DarkHand

VIP
Just checked my email today and I noticed a number of emails from Paypal along with two people. It seems someone sent me $100 to the wrong paypal address.

The sellers paypal account is darkhand03@gmail.com However, I wrongfully sent the $100 payment to darkhand@gmail.com The money sent to darkhand@gmail.com needs to be returned to me, or sent to darkhand03@gmail.com

I see the transfer in my paypal account, and I have the funds in there. They opened a dispute, and I have the option of automatically refunding the transfer.

While it seems legit, my scam alarm is still in the yellow. Is there any way this could come back to haunt me or my wallet if I refund the money?

put your mouse over the link in the email and make sure its really a link to Paypal....There are some pretty elaborate setups out there

Then contact Paypal and see if its legit

I didn't click any links in the email :) I went to the site seperately and double checked I wasn't getting redirected. It really is in my account, and there's a real dispute open.

It just feels a little off still, like a Nigerian check that puts real money into your account but the bank ends up taking it back later.

It looks a little more legit than it did, after more investigation.

It looks like the guy was buying a Dark Age of Camelot account off of eBay and really did send the money to the wrong address. I found his ebay history and it does include a bunch of similar transactions.

I'm gonna use the automated refund option and see what happens. I had 0 in the account beforehand anyway, and its an unverified account without any ties to my bank. But if I end up broke and homeless because of it I'll be sure to warn you guys before I move out. :)

Last edited:
well i got a e-mail lastnight saying this guy pay paled me 1500 for some e-bay shit but i did find out that shit was fake as hell
plus my paypal had 36.61 in itlol

Back