Possible SSD issues with my new ultrabook.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
my ultrabook has a mSATA micron c400 128gb SSD in it. for the last 2-3 days i've been experiencing multiple random lockups and reboots/ bluescreens. upon immediate reboot i get "boot device not found"

in my event log i see disk\dr1 has a bad block. running HPs quick SMART test it passes but immediately fails the long test.

i'm running a full backup to my terastation right now, only about 11gb of actual data plus another 23gb of music.

i think it got too full and got pissed :/ i havent had a freeze/reboot in a quick minute recent, but i have been pushing things over the wire to the tera. FWIW i've been keeping it at about 8-12 GB free space.

i updated the bios, and checked a flash for the ssd fw but it it current. i cannot find a single bad review of this ssd online. argh. sucks because this ultrabook has to be shipped in for service.

Since the drive passes SMART it is not marking blocks as bad. I am already experiencing some data corruption, luckily it is just in some random iTunes music and whatnot.

HP support is sending me a new drive.

yeahhhh no. i need something with a little power. and windows OS. cant run starcraft on a cromebook. i'd get a mbpro first...

placed a HP warranty call for a bad 128GB SSD drive on nov 5. we have 4 hour response and accidental insurance, i still don't have my replacement hard drive. they are backordered with no replacement in sight.

since i really need this machine running, im overnighting myself a crucial M4 256mb SSD. i'll sell the msata that comes in on ebay.

runs at what? 5fps? they are internet browser computers.

didn't say you were wrong, just said haters gonna hate.

i dont see the hate. you know as well as i do that a cromebook just doesn't suit the needs of folks like you and me.

in case you were wondering what these puppies look like. smaller than a SODIMM.

665784_10151319535586763_1216400498_o.jpg

another update, the 256gb ssd did NOT work out. it died within a week. /wrists luckily i had a fresh backup.

luckily before i left for vacation the HP replacement part landed.... i had an action pack ISO for windows 8 enterprise x64 and got it installed. been using it for a week or so. it is interesting... but fast.

this will be my last endeavor into SSD for awhile. if this drive dies then im going back to a spinning, slow drive.

me thinks crucial might have just given you the big fist up the booty hole.

yeah, twice... the first drive was probably my fault but the second was less than half capacity.

right now im floating around 45gb free. we are archiving so i'm trying to use another machine to burn data from.

Back