Possibly a different idle question?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Try cleaning the connectors/get a new temp sensor. This fixed the idle problem in my civic last summer. If the sensor isn't reading the right temp it will cause the idle to fluctuate. Yours seems backwards though. Meaning when it reads low it idles low instead of high like it should until it reaches normal temp. Just an idea since you have checked everything else.

Where is the temp sensor(s), is there anyway to clean them? Ya it is kinda backwards eh. It hasnt reached the normal operating temperature for 2 weeks now and its pretty pretty warm out.

Checked PCV valve a few times, it gets suction and the idle lowers when i block it off. Vacuum leak is next on the chopping block.

Last edited:
Any chance a rad cap could be causing this? I do smell a small amount of coolant burning from it but there is no sign of leaking and the seal looks good, but could a bad rad cap cause say the pressure to be lower thus throwing off the temp sensors and idle?

Just brain storming, gonna replace it anyway i think.

Checked the temp sending unit sensor, seems to be working, i unplugged it and the gauge when all the way down while the car was running. Havent checked the 2 water temp ones yet.

Took apart the throttle body (with new gasket), clean it all out, FIV too, screwed it in a bit more, cleaned the idle adjust screw and put it roughly back to where is was. Idle seems to be much improved, sits at 800-900 mostly.

However now, when i put the clutch in it bounces off 1100-1300rpm and slowly goes down, normal?

Whether i fixed the root problem i dont know, but it seems to be better. Ill let you guys know whether or not it returns/ still acts up.

Now stands:

Cold idle @ 1400rpm

Warm idle @ 700-900rpm

Temp gauge still showing below operating temp, ill likely replace a coolant temp sensor and see.

Last edited:
Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread before. Let me first say this (although you probably already know, but in case you don't): you idle is controlled entirely by the temperature of your coolant. There's a cold idle valve that is made like a thermostat internally, then the IACV that you have messed with, and in my experience cleaning those very rarely actually improves it, they go bad internally and no amount of cleaning will fix it. So you can chase the inputs to the ECU like the O2 sensors, coolant temperature sensors (One at thermostat and one at upper radiator hose port on the head) and the IAT sensor (not sure if the prelude even has one honestly)- but really I suspect the IACV is bad. I know it's not what you want to hear since they are expensive as hell, but personally, if it were my car, I would look into that. As others have mentioned, compression in the coolant passages via head gasket can create that, but the engine would run hotter, not colder. Here's one thing I've had happen to me. The condenser fan went bad on an accord. It started idling bad, and boiling over via the radiator cap into the overflow. Turns out the radiator cap was broken too, so it was two thing contributing. The engine got way hotter than normal, and when it did, it boiled over even easier because the cap was bad. If you have a bad cap, it could let coolant out, the temperature sensor can read low in the absence of coolant flowing across it, and since the idle controls need coolant passing through them, in the absence of that they could read lower (while your engine may in fact be hotter). Highly unlikely, but just some food for thought on the interrelation of the different systems on the car. If it were my car I'd be buying an IACV since they don't last forever on Hondas (far from it) anyway, and if by chance that didn't fix it I'd use a timing light and check out the ignition timing (after tuning it up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. If it persisted, I'd then buy an intake manifold gasket set and all the vacuum lines and redo the whole intake. Also, you could use a compression gauge and see if all your cylinders still have decent range compression. Since it's an H22 I'm guessing you drive it like one, and despite popular opinion H22's aren't totally bullet proof if you're running the shit out of it.

That's just my two cents worth, it sounds like you're pretty damn smart though, you've already started down the right road, you'll get to the bottom of it eventually, it's just persistence man.

Thanks for the input, i figured if the IACV was bad it would give me a code. If i unplug it the car idles really badly and sometimes stalls. If i plug up the hole for it it does the same thing, so i figure its still good, im not sure if there is a sure fire way to test it.

I dont really want to throw parts at the car hoping it would fix it. I asked a Honda tech the other day and he says if it was a vacuum leak it would likely be a fluctuating idle, check the ignition timing and adjust base idle.

Ill still keep troubleshooting but it is working much better now. I originally thought the coolant and idle problems were directly related, but the idle was always low regardless of if it were at full operating temp or slightly below it. My coolant and oil are clean and there is no white smoke out the back and the car doesnt feel sluggish at all, i may buy my own compression gauge and confirm, however im always afraid of what i might find lol. No obvious head gasket leaks.

Any chance your drive belt could be doing any of this, mine does look old.

Back