Powdercoating?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ignorant import guy

I didn't know what section to put this under so sorry if this isn't the right place. I was thinking of powdercoating my transmission does that affect how hot the transmission will get (eventually affecting reliability)...basically does powdercoating hold heat in? If it does i'll just use engine paint but i would prefer the look and not taking a chance of the paint flaking.

ive run powdercoated valve covers before and never had a problem... but a tranny might be different. i have a friend that powdercoats for a living ill tryt to get ahold of him tom and ill ask him. u could get it ceramic coated but thats probably way to much bling. ill let you know what i find out.

ok got a answer. powder coating does hold in heat it dosent let it escape as good as just the bare aluminum. but he did say hes done trannys and it dosnt hurt because they dont get hot enough to cause problems. you do have to stay away from powder coating blocks, heads, ect. :mellow:

get what's called "stove black" it's what they put on wood ovens to make it radiate heat. it sucks the heat out of the metal and dissipates it. your tranny WILL run cooler if you paint it with stove black. do the same with your engine if you get a chance too...you'll love the results.

Back