Power Consumption thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

now, order some pellets. I get my stash from btpellet.com or ctpellet.com. 2 tons should get you through the rest of the year give or take.

don't buy crap. get a good pellet. the shit at lowes/hd blow. no heat, dirty as hell
la crete's and barefoots are my favorites this year.

now, order some pellets. I get my stash from btpellet.com or ctpellet.com. 2 tons should get you through the rest of the year give or take.

don't buy crap. get a good pellet. the shit at lowes/hd blow. no heat, dirty as hell

Yeap OAK will be installed....

I emailed Harman to see if they recommend a certain pellet for this stove since they must have did a lot of R&D and tested many different brands.

I'm waiting to hear from them before I order a certain brand

oh, and demand they install an OAK (outside air kit) for fire intake air. It makes a world of difference in drafts. I got mine retrofitted this summer and this seasons burning has been WAY better

Did yours originally draw air from inside the house?

bt is a great place to get pellets. They are cool too if you go in to get pellets.

yes, the combustion air was inside air. caused some drafts.

stove makers won't endorse a brand.

plus, batches change all the time. hamers used to be awesome, and this year they suck. wood and fiber supply changes constantly. I've burned like 25 brands at this point... feel free to ask about any of them.

Wow you guys use tons of power. Over the past 13 months I've averaged 422 KW/H. Lowest being 354 in April and the highest being 660 in July.

I almost always have my PC, TV, Surround, at least one light on and never turn off any power strips.

It helps that the furnace/stove/water heater uses gas, though.

yeah, gas appliances take a huge chunk out of it. I cook every night. that's 1000 watt hours a day probably alone. the dryer is the other big one. And since I wear dress clothes for work, the delicate cycle takes for fucking ever

i need to look at my bills.
gas heat and water heater. electric everything else.

summer time, i think the highest its been is 160 for electric and 20 for gas.
winter time the electric is 110 and gas is 60.

actually, edit that, my electric co also does our trash and water.
so, trash is always 15/mo, and water i believe is in the area of 30/mo.

so, electric for summer is 115, and winter is 65.

Last edited:

i'm going to try ..the barefoots, seem to have raving reviews on teh hearth forums

Last edited:
yeah, they sell out quick.

bt has la cretes, and the easy blaze are pretty good too.

I see they have north country on deal right now. west pine/douglas fir are the hottest ones around. i'm tempted to try a ton even though im sitting on over 3 tons still left. ct has those for 319!

ct has better prices for the other things though.

unlike wood stoves, in general, softwood owns the pellet world. higher heat, cleaner, lighter ash, smell better. no worry about creosote.

And get an ash vacuum, or a very good heppa filter for your shop vac. I like the true ash vac as it's metal, just in case. I NEVER clean my stove unless it's been off for 3 hours at least, and then I leave the vac on the mantel (stone) for a couple days just in case if I can't dump it outside in the garden. if it does catch fire, at least its on and surrounded by bricks and shouldn't really do any damage.
I have the chaeta II
never vac a hot stove.

Had two tons of Hammer Hot Ones delivered from Blakslee in Middletown..They said with my stove it really doesn't matter what i burn....They actually recommended Maine pellets but i asked them what the top of the line was and they said Hammer Hot Ones which is what they burn in their own homes so i said..gimme 2 tons....$642 delivered...did not know there was no sales tax on pellets....nice...

Vacuum and accessories will be delivered tomorrow....good call on that Cleaning Kit B that will come in handy..

Back