power shifting...3rd gear

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mozzandherb

I was out tonight driving around I just recently swapped an h22a in m 92 Accord. I upgraded my clutch with a stage 2 exedy and flywheel, but even before when I had the f22 with stock everything I would have a hard time power shifting into 3rd gear especially when racing. And tonight for fun I raced a couple of cars but I still had a hard time getting into 3rd gear. If I try to shift quickly I can get into 3rd gear 1 out of 5 times. It's the same as it was before the swap. It's no problem when I shift smoothly but when I try to power shift 3rd gear is a bitch. I don't mind shifting smoothly but when it comes to racing am I loosing aot but not being able to power shift? Besides that more importantly what could be the cause of this problem? I know it's not my driving because I've had a few others try it and the same thing happens. Any thoughts?

Sounds like 3rd gear's synchro is on its way out. It happens to ALL honda transmissions sooner or later, 3rd gear eats ass first. I've heared that you can put synchromesh in it and its a good temporary fix, and will prolong the life of your trans a bit, but you will need synchros soon.

Your trans is dying. :rip:

When I swapped my engine I swapped tranny too so I don't think there's a problem with the tranny cause like I said it did the same thing with the other tranny. It shifts into gear and stays in gear it's just when I try to shift it fast it has a hard time engaging. If I shift smoothly there's no problem.

Quoted post[/post]]
I was out tonight driving around I just recently swapped an h22a in m 92 Accord. I upgraded my clutch with a stage 2 exedy and flywheel, but even before when I had the f22 with stock everything I would have a hard time power shifting into 3rd gear especially when racing. And tonight for fun I raced a couple of cars but I still had a hard time getting into 3rd gear. If I try to shift quickly I can get into 3rd gear 1 out of 5 times. It's the same as it was before the swap. It's no problem when I shift smoothly but when I try to power shift 3rd gear is a bitch. I don't mind shifting smoothly but when it comes to racing am I loosing aot but not being able to power shift? Besides that more importantly what could be the cause of this problem? I know it's not my driving because I've had a few others try it and the same thing happens. Any thoughts?

I used to have this problem too. Your problem is not your tranny, you said so yourself when you said that you swapped in another tranny and had exactly the same problem. I found out that my problem was I was trying to shift too HARD into third, and when I learned to relax my throw and just SLIDE it quickly into the 3rd slot, I never had a problem again. And I was getting that problem almost EVERY time I tried to shift quickly into third. Lighten up your throw, slide it ALMOST straight up out of 2nd, 3rd isnt as far to the right of 1st as it seems. Power shifting is kind of a misnomer. It's not really how hard you shift, it's what rpm you rev to, and then how quickly/smoothly you clutch/throw/clutch. On my B16A setup, 6000 rpm seems to be the magic number. When I race, as long as I shift there, I never drop below 4200 rpm, and seem to make the fastest runs. I don't know about the H22, but experiment and you'll find yours. Now when I'm racing, the lag between gears is nearly zero. Give it a try man.

well, i shift the HELL outa my H22 and i have never ground one gear...although i have been known to beat up on a few civic and integra trannies.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

I used to have this problem too. Your problem is not your tranny, you said so yourself when you said that you swapped in another tranny and had exactly the same problem. I found out that my problem was I was trying to shift too HARD into third, and when I learned to relax my throw and just SLIDE it quickly into the 3rd slot, I never had a problem again. And I was getting that problem almost EVERY time I tried to shift quickly into third. Lighten up your throw, slide it ALMOST straight up out of 2nd, 3rd isnt as far to the right of 1st as it seems. Power shifting is kind of a misnomer. It's not really how hard you shift, it's what rpm you rev to, and then how quickly/smoothly you clutch/throw/clutch. On my B16A setup, 6000 rpm seems to be the magic number. When I race, as long as I shift there, I never drop below 4200 rpm, and seem to make the fastest runs. I don't know about the H22, but experiment and you'll find yours. Now when I'm racing, the lag between gears is nearly zero. Give it a try man.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

That's what I thought. I am trying to shift too fast and when I do let it just slide it's fine. I learned that before the swap, I guess I just assumed with the new setup it would have been different, but your right I have to learn to when to shift and to not shift too hard. Thanks man

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

i am seriously worried about your b16.
If your best shiftpoint is 6k rpms, i hope your tach is off around 2,000 rpms.. because there's something wrong there..

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

i am seriously worried about your b16.
If your best shiftpoint is 6k rpms, i hope your tach is off around 2,000 rpms.. because there's something wrong there..
haha
:werd:
Peak hp is @7600
Peak trq is @7200

I've heard that Honda tachs usually read about 500 rpm low compared to actual engine speed. So 6000 translates to like 5500, which is not really a scary number imo. I've revved this motor to what is approximately 8000 rpm on my tach, and had no problems afterwards. The only problem I ever had was the other day on the interstate, I revved 3rd all the way to 7k rpm on the tach, and shifted into 4th, the car shuddered like it got hit by a mortar, I immediately shifted up into 5th, and after a second or two stopped shuddering. It seemed to have a problem grabbing at that high of an rpm. Which probably makes sense. :p But as far as 6k shifts, smooth as hell with no hesitation or missing.

Back