Power Steering issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AmonDin

I have a 93 Honda Accord LX that has an h22a engine installed by the previous owner. The h22 power steering pump is on the engine, but the belt is not hooked up, and the end of the hose was cut off because it doesn't match up with the accord hose that is in there currently. I was wondering what the easiest way to get the power steering working again is. I have no experience with honda's prior to this car, and I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help.

The Steering Rack is bad on it now, and the local honda dealer said that went bad because the power steering is not hooked up. If anyone knows anything about this stuff please let me know. Thanks!

I don't know about your rack, but the hookup is fairly simple. You can either have a hydraulic shop connect your Accord hose to the prelude end, or buy a DOHC Prelude hose from Honda. I bought the hose from Honda, for $140.

The hose is the right length, and it will thread right into your current power steering stuff. You will have to carefully adjust the bends on the lower end of the new hose. Be sure to keep your sensor from your original hose, as it does not come with your new one.

The Hydraulic shop option is a good one, but three of my local shops would not touch the hose, since it was metric and they didn't carry the fittings. This is a very high pressure hose, so don't try anything homemade. Braizing the prelude end to the Accord hose in the metal area is an option, but special care has to be made to keep from cooking the rubber.

Straight up, I'd buy the Prelude hose. Connect everything, and then decide if the rack is shot. The Honda rack is very tough. Test it, and replace if necessary. Same goes for the pump.

Thanks for the tips, I think I might buy the hose. The f22 pump didn't fit under the hood.

I also heard that there might be an option for a new rack w/o Power steering, altough I haven't found any online. Could anyone tell me if the is one, and if so, where do I get it?

Never heard of one. I think power steering was standard on every Accord, so any other rack would have to be modified or aftermarket. I've been wrong once or twice in my life though. :)

If you do buy that hose, be very careful when you adjust the bends. I almost kinked one bend, which isn't good at all. Don't try to overbend one spot, make the bends as gradual as possible. I don't want to worry you, but I'd hate to see you total a $140 brand new hose.

Back