power steering removel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

streetracinghn

i have searched and came up empty. i need to know how to take the power steering out of a 91 accord lx and make it manual. im looking for a how to. step by step. ive read all the post but they dont help

This is gonna sound stupid but.... why don't you just take the belt off the power steering pump & plug the lines?
I was told that the gearing in the p/s rack is a faster ratio than in the manual rack. However, like most things someone else said that's backwards.
All I do know is the guys with power assisted steering can work the slolom & tight turns faster than I can w/ manual.

If that won't work try this:

removal
1. raise the front of the vehicle & suport it w/ jackstands. Apply the parking brake.

2. Place a drain pan undr the steering gear (power steering only). Remove the hoses/lines and cap ends to prevent excessive fluid lose & contamination.

3. Mark the relationship of the intermediate shaft universal joint to the steering gear input shafrt & remove the pinch bolt

4. Separate the tie-rod ends from the steering knuckle arms

5. Support the steering gear & remove the mounting bolts. Lower the unit, separate the intermediate shaft from the steering gear input shaft & remove the steering gear from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION
1. Raise the steering gear into position & connect the intermediat shaft, aligning the marks.

2. Install the mounting bolts & washers and tighten them securely (28 ft/#)

3. Connect the tie-rod ends to the steering knuckle arms (32 ft/#)

4. Install the lower intermediate shaft pinch bolt & tighten it securely (??)

5. Connect the power steering hoses/lines to the steering pump resovior w/ reccomended fluid

6. Lower the vehicle & bleed the steering system

Now, if you buy a Haynes manual like I did, you get pretty pictures that might life easier!!

before your gen but it couldnt be that different, I'm pretty sure I saw a walkthrough on 3geez.com

i looked on 3geez .com but couldnt find it. thats what im talkn about taking the belt and pully off im lookn for a how to or a step by step to do this

Back