1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Steering

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by mical0259, May 1, 2003.

1. mical0259

mical0259 Junior Member

I just removed my power steering unit, the pump, reservoir, and belt. Should i have left the reservoir with fluid in it or was it ok that its removed. i connected the hoses together so it is still a closed system and no air aor moisture can get in but there isnt any fluid in the system. is this bad and what should i do. wikll it affect the reliability of my steering rack? thanks

2. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

you want to keep a little fluid in there to keep shit lubed
    but just looping it is ok

or you can go all out and do a loop with a breather valve
    the second way is pretty involved and im not gunna bother typing it all out right now
    if you do actually want to do it this way let me know and ill see what i can do about writing something up

3. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Just make sure it's a closed system with fluid in it and you'll probably be ok. I would swap it out with a manual rack though.

4. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

na, i'd keep the power rack, better turning ratio's, just will be a little tougher to turn than the manual rack. but like they said, keep fluid in the system and keep it in a closed loop and you'll be fine. i know of a few people that do it this way, no problems so far.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted