power steering

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

anyone know the pros and cons or having power steering while racing?

thanks.

pros- you can turn faster

cons- more parasitic loss and you don't have as good of feedback as to the feel of the road.

Well all I can say if your car is strictly for racing remove the power steering, if not and you want some more oomph, take it off and use is as a daily driver, but as for me I hate having my forearms be sore the rest of the day just cuz I went to the store, I could have just jacked off and gotten a better reward out of it.

I actually like it for just cruising around, but I am so used to manual that I don't even care anymore. I do however not like it at high speedos.

i took mine out :)

only time i miss it is when im parking and shit

I ran my first autox non ps today. It was great. I had more control of the car. I felt like there was a lot more feedback. Seemed to feel the slipping point of my tires as soon as the started to break. Only con was pulling into and out of staging area. I didn't even notice the wheel being heavier when I was on track. Its a good move for racing. Bad if you rice in parking lots.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 5 2004, 04:08 PM
i took mine out :)

only time i miss it is when im parking and shit

Same here. As long as I am moving a little bit it's not bad at all. With my drag radials on it's a little more difficult though lol.

some people have claimed that the steering wheel is easier to turn("it feels lighter") at 40-80+mph without power steering than it does with power steering.

I don't know about that. You're not really cranking on the wheel when you're going that fast. You can though feel the road and wheel slip better. Another huge plus is how fast the wheel will go back straight coming out of a sharp turn. Anyway, thats just my .02.

Back