Power Steering

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CARP 104

I am looking to buy a highly modified 92' hatchback civic from someone locally however the cars power steering has been removed. This car will be my daily driver (on lowered boost) so I am wondering about how much it will cost to restore the power steering?

How much HP does removing the power steering actually free up to the wheels anyway?

Thanks

I am looking to buy a highly modified 92' hatchback civic from someone locally however the cars power steering has been removed. This car will be my daily driver (on lowered boost) so I am wondering about how much it will cost to restore the power steering?

How much HP does removing the power steering actually free up to the wheels anyway?

Thanks

mine's a 94 and it came with manual steering, not power. :shrug2:

I just figured driving a stick with manual steering might be a serious pain, since you can only have one hand on the wheel most the time in low gears (when its harder to steer). I dont know for sure though, I guess I need to test drive it to get the feeling.

meh, i was thinking along the same lines when i got my crx a few months ago, but it really isnt all that bad. once you even get the tiniest bit of momentum its not really hard at all, only time i ever really have to work at it is turning the wheel when not moving, but at that point both hands are free so its still not bad.

go test it out and see if you like it. i know i do.

to threadjack/add to your quesiton: does removing the power steering add HP? or just mostly remove some (uneeded) weight?

After reading around I take it HP gains are minimal. It's more to get a better feel of your car. The only thing that scares me is if I need to make a quick turn to avoid an accident, however many people have stated it seems to be easy once you're moving so I don't know...

HP gains are minimal..a kid i know took PS and AC out of his integra and he gained maybe 5hp and lost 13lbs. of total weight...you relly dont need PS..its basically for when your stopped..once your moving theres no differance..and hey itll help beef up them arms...and if its on a highly modded car its useless

I had an 88 civic hatch without power steering, and I didn't mind it at all, and it was a 4-speed stick. Just don't try turning unless you're moving. Not sure about any kind of hp gains, It wouldn't reduce much weight either. But if you really want it, it shouldn't be too expensive to find a pump and everything you need.

i have a 93 hatchback with no power steering and its not bad at all. like people said before, once your moving even a little bit its pretty easy

I guess I'll use it without for a while and see how it goes. But if I do decide to restore the power steering could someone help me out on what parts I will need.

Reservior, pump...etc?

i know a pump, resevoir and lines but im prob missing a couple little things but im not sure off hand

Back