Power through my ground...wtf?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lude68

like the title says...im getting power through my ground wire on my coil inside my distributor...why would this be happening? all of my ground are fine (at least they seemed to be when i checked them). I think this is what is causing my car not to fire (spark). Thanks in advance.

how did you measure it?

just because its a ground, doesn't mean it has 0 volts to it. its a circuit don't forget....

B. I disagree a Ground from a distributor should read ~0 Volts (50mV at most would be acceptable) to the frame or any other ground point. being that the negative of the battery is connected to the frame which serves as the ground. You should not have any potential difference from the ground on the distibutor to the frame or any other ground point.

having a voltage reading from a ground wire is what you call a ground loop. either the ground on the distributor does not have a solid connection to the frame or some ground point. The other problem could be one or many other paths to ground are not 100% intact.

It's a bitch sorting electrical problems in cars out. What have you changed in the recent past which might have lead to this problem ??

have you checked your coil or out latley, a bad coil could provide a path to ground that is intermittent.

its got a new coil and new ignitor...some one suggested that it could be in my harness so ive got an extra 94 civic ex harness im going to try to use...does anybody know if ill have to do any modifications to the EX harness for it to work?

Back