power up the d15z1?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Fille

Need som advice on how to make my d15z1 go a little faster, I know that i´ts vtec-e and not that "tuneable" but I want to do this anyways. So I don´t need z6 head or other swap advices.

I´m thinking about getting a p28 ecu and rewire the o2 to 4 wire, then get a hondata s300 to tune it. What do you think? Any downside with the p28 on d15z1?
Have read about the tiny trottlebody, does a TB from any other Honda fit d15z1 intake?

my personal opinion your better off goin with the z6 head, specially if your not gonna do a b series swap. i dont see a major problem with the p28 on the d15z1, as far as the throttle body goes just get a spacer

Keep the Z1 head. Get a custom camshaft made, get new high compression pistons, then port the head and tune tune tune!

Thank you guys.
I have som further questions... Have read that the p28 won´t look for egr, what will happen to those bits? Can I leave them as they are or do I have to plug something?
And a spacer won´t help against a tiny throttlebody? That just increases the volume in the intake, but maybe the intake is the restriction, not the tb?
The thing about my car is that it has to look totally stock, so I can´t use a spacer.

I will balance and remove some weight from all the moving parts in the engine, does anyone know if these engines are "good" from the factory or is there some weight differences in the pistons etc.?

Does anyone know if I can use a better geared tranny?, I know any s20 will fit, but as with the engine I have to use the right number gearbox so I´m after shorter gears and final drive that fits stock casing.

Sorry, big post, hope someone want´s to read it!

The spacer won't do anything for you.

Not sure about the P28 and EGR, but I don't think OBD1 (92-95) Hondas regulated EGR as a standard thing. The VX might have been an exception.

The engines are pretty good from the factory. Don't go inside to remove weight unless you have tons of cash- focus on things like the flywheel. You CAN get aftermarket forged pistons and rods that have significantly less mass than OEM which will reduce rotating mass inside the engine and therefore give you more torque to the wheels for the same amount of fuel, but parts like that aren't standard for the Z1.

The 92-00 D series transmissions are all interchangeable.

if ur going p28 ecu then u need the corresponding z6 IM & TB which allows much more air into the head. or whalepenis-intake lol. keep ur VX flywheel - its the lightest of all D-series flywheels afaik. least for 92-95 EGs..or have it shaved a lil like 0.5-2lbs. the p28 doesn't look for EGR -another reason to use the Z6 IM. Sounds like a lot of $$$ to squeeze very little from the VX its designed for economy & will get very minimal gains. Z6 or jdm D15B vtec swap would be much cheaper...IMHO

Back