1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Vs. Gas Milage

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Troll, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Troll

Troll Junior Member

Well, I'm getting this '94 Honda Civic DX, and it gets great gas milage. What I would like to do is get more power under the hood without having to deal much with gas stations every few miles. I would like a list of stuffs that I should get for it.

2. pills_PMD

pills_PMD Super Moderator

you should get a swap. i get 28 mpg which is what honda says is avg on my b16 and i can run a 1/4 mile in 14.8 (probably 14.5 or faster now after the winters project!) and make 160.4 whp on a mustang dyno

3. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

on hondata's website I believe there is a turbo GSR that gets 30 MPG at 85-90MPH. I wouldn't worry much about your gas mileage. Unless you start pushing some massive air volume ala forced induction, you will probably only need an increase in fuel of maybe a few percent. Besides, staying with your stock ECU, you can't add anymore fuel without a fuel pressure regulator.

If your keeping your motor, doing a headers back exaust, cold/ram air intake. That is a standard slight increase power setup. But if you want real power, consider swapping your motor out for a b16 or an LS. They offer much better power than your current motor, and maintain fuel efficiency. Now if your really wild, you can swap a motor then Turbo it, or go all motor( engine building). Into that realm your talking thousands of dollars, and a significant possible hit to your gas mileage.

On the norm, do what you want. Your foot is what controls your gas mileage mostly :)

4. ekPhred

ekPhred Senior Member

5. luVTEC

luVTEC Senior Member

swaping honda engines wont kill gas mileage at all, b/c their still honda engines. The only way you would really kill gas mileage is with FI - (TC,SC, Nitrous Oxide). Making big power takes alot of gas no way around it, but you will get mileage then a V6 or V8 with the same boost PSI B)

6. beau_safken

beau_safken Senior Member

LEt me see...Honda engines will always have the good gas mileage so my vote is what else...

POWER

HAve some fun and get a swap. An LS swap will blow your mind...I'll find out as soon as my civic is back from the shop....God dammit I tell ya...[mumbles]damn mechanic....4 days and can't get my swap in....[/mumbles]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted