Powerball - no winner, now 1.3 billion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

2 bucks down the drain. I wonder what the jackpot will get up to by the next drawing.

apparently they recently (October) made some changes to powerball that seem to specifically be for the purpose of jacking up the big jackpot numbers (by cutting the chance of winning it almost in half)

https://www.lucke-zone.com/Details/2015/7/8/Changes-to-Powerball-game-coming-in-October

Here’s a quick look at some other changes.

• New sets of numbers to choose for white balls and Powerball. The range of numbers for the white balls expands from 1-59 to 1-69. The numbers for the Powerball shift from 1-35 to 1-26.
• New odds. The overall odds of winning any prize improve, decreasing from one in 32 to one in 25. But the odds of winning a jackpot will get longer, increasing from 1 in 175 million to 1 in 292 million.

was gunna throw a few bucks at last nights drawing but didnt end up doing it
maybe i will on the next one :shrug2:

I honestly don't know what I'd do with that much money. I'd retire, and work out a couple hours a day. My wife would have a rack that looked like two grapefruit side by side. Buy a nice house and some sweet toys. Then what? Travel I guess.....

The funny thing is, this poor people tax doesn't really help anyone. Plus, I'm a lottery truther. I believe the government picks the numbers based on how much revenue it will generate for them and decides what day there will be a winner.

Exactly! I don't know if I believe in the government rigging the numbers, but why even bother buying a damn ticket? The odds are 1:292,200,000. That means that you have 99.99999966 % change of not winning.

for 100's of millions of dollars, I'm going to pay down a few bucks and take a chance. i just won't go to D&D for a couple days.

I won't go as far as to say I think the government rigs the numbers, but SOMETHING about it seems off...I don't buy lottery tickets, regardless - my house doesn't have wheels.

#whitetrashtax

they changed the rules. making it harder to win the jackpot (odds of winning went from 1:175mi to 1:292mil). they did this to get giant jackpots like this. they also increased the odds of winning the smaller prizes (like the ones under $100). the massive jackpots get a ton of publicity and makes ticket sales skyrocket.

and #poorpeopletax is probably more inclusive. poor people make up most of the sales.

I put $5 into the work pool and $4 for the missus and me. That's about it....

the odds are stacked against you. But they are also stacked against the person that won too. Fact is, someone does win it.

is it rigged? i don't think so. it's on live tv in a vaccuum. that would be real hard.
and why does it need to be? it's the tax they want anyway... and they get it.

ZwIoWme.jpg

$1.5B/$930M cash

I'm in for a few :D

The way the stock market is crashing right now, a powerball win would be real nice. it's a blood bath in the streets.

take home $500 million after taxes. I'll take the annuity and finance my NFL franchise. :p

why would you take the annuity?

if you can beat 2% compounded over 30 years, you're better off not taking it.

I'd hope anyone can do better than that over that time period just by throwing it in an s&p 500 fund.

All these fianance idiots telling you to take the annuity work for annuity companies who want the management fees.

Back