Powerball - no winner, now 1.3 billion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i broke even. spent 0, won 0. i blew enough the other time around ($10)

why would you take the annuity?

if you can beat 2% compounded over 30 years, you're better off not taking it.

I'd hope anyone can do better than that over that time period just by throwing it in an s&p 500 fund.

All these fianance idiots telling you to take the annuity work for annuity companies who want the management fees.

Why would I take the annuity? Because of a specific purchase I would make with my winnings.

I would buy an NFL team. Serious, it's what I want to do. The reason I would take the annuity is because it's a higher locked in number. I could use the annuity payments as collateral for funding a loan that will pay for my team. My $1 billion NFL team probably couldn't be purchased with a windfall of $500 million. But if I had a guaranteed stream of income, I could pay for the interest payments with the annual annuity and pay off the loan with profits from my franchise.

Why would I take the annuity? Because of a specific purchase I would make with my winnings.

I would buy an NFL team. Serious, it's what I want to do. The reason I would take the annuity is because it's a higher locked in number. I could use the annuity payments as collateral for funding a loan that will pay for my team. My $1 billion NFL team probably couldn't be purchased with a windfall of $500 million. But if I had a guaranteed stream of income, I could pay for the interest payments with the annual annuity and pay off the loan with profits from my franchise.
The lowest valued team in the nfl is 1.4 billion. It would be a stretch

The lowest valued team in the nfl is 1.4 billion. It would be a stretch

I'm pretty sure you could get a loan somehow and use the annuity payments to fund an interest only loan. Or at least fund it somehow with being able to have the $1.5 billion as collateral, even if it is annuitized.

Back