powered sub into a reciever with sub output

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Seany-izzle

So i briefly asked this before..

I have a Sony powered sub, it connects to my stereo with an rca type connector. If i were to buy a reciever that has sayy 200w sub output on the back, can i plug my powered sub in and will it still work ok?

OH and one more thing... if a reciever has two hdmi inputs and one output, the output will put the video on the tv and sound as well.. or will the sound be limited to only the stereo speakers? Will i be able to just turn the stereo speakers down and the tv volume up when i just want to watch cable?

Thanks.

Last edited:
powered subs do NOT use RCA connectors. It's a digital coax cable, but it looks similar to an rca, but its not the same size nor will it fit in an rca plug.
it's also directional. Make sure you have the cable in the receiver the right way.

A sub output is NOT powered. it is pre-amp circuitry. Why a receiver would say 200w on it is beyond me. sounds like a POS of some sort trying to be cool....

hdmi carries full digital audio (all channels, be it 2 or 7.1)

I have my system set up like this:

dvd player -> tv via hdmi
tv out to receiver via optical digital audio out

I don't have a cable box or satellite as i use my tv's hidef tuner.

this way i can watch tv normally, through a dvd normally, or turn off the tv speakers (theres an option on my tv) and turn on the reciver.

the only draw back to this, is that i can't listen to music without the tv on (ie, cd in dvd player) it needs to pass through.

I could get another cable for audio from the dvd player's optical out to my receiver's 2nd opitcal in, but its not worth it for me... i never play music in there.

If the receiver has a powered output for the sub, it should be some sort of spring terminal / screw terminal. (Not RCA / D. Coax out)

And you "could" perhaps run that into your powered sub's "high-level input" if it had one. But you wouldn't want to.

As far as "RCA" vs. "Digital Coax", from what I've seen a "digital coax" cable has more shielding. So its better to use a "D.Coax" cable for long distances (over 3ft), but an "RCA" cable is the same fucking thing. Every Digital Coaxial output I've run into will accept an RCA connector, I haven't seen any magical outputs with smaller connectors.

dude, its not even close! lol

a sub cable will not plug into an RCA jack, and it's directional on top of it

fuck it, ill just get a all in one. Im on a budget, imnot an audiophyle and hell... in my car im satisfied with the stock speakers (with tweeters) and my alpine head unit, sounds fine to me. I was going to buy a reciever, use my powered sub, and buy two front speakers and be done.. eh whatever.

so the hdmi thing.. PS3->tv, dvr->tv then tv->reciever. correct?

If the receiver has a powered output for the sub, it should be some sort of spring terminal / screw terminal. (Not RCA / D. Coax out)

And you "could" perhaps run that into your powered sub's "high-level input" if it had one. But you wouldn't want to.

As far as "RCA" vs. "Digital Coax", from what I've seen a "digital coax" cable has more shielding. So its better to use a "D.Coax" cable for long distances (over 3ft), but an "RCA" cable is the same fucking thing. Every Digital Coaxial output I've run into will accept an RCA connector, I haven't seen any magical outputs with smaller connectors.

:werdL

dude, its not even close! lol

a sub cable will not plug into an RCA jack, and it's directional on top of it

:wtf2:

fuck it, ill just get a all in one. Im on a budget, imnot an audiophyle and hell... in my car im satisfied with the stock speakers (with tweeters) and my alpine head unit, sounds fine to me. I was going to buy a reciever, use my powered sub, and buy two front speakers and be done.. eh whatever.

I am an audiophile, but I almost never listen to music at home.... so I just spend money on the car stereo. The home system is just for watching TV and movies every now and then, and I can't afford what I really want to buy right now.

B, Jesus H Christ man. Its not directional, I dont even know wtf you're talking about and I KNOW its not directional.

The standard for SPDIF calls for either:
A) a coaxial cable with a BNC connector(or RCA)
B) an optical connection (Toslink)

AES/EBU is another standard (very similar) which uses 3-pin XLR connections.

Show me a SPDIF connection that doesn't use: RCA, BNC, Toslink, or XLR.

my sony powered sub has a rca type connection, but I found these neat rca to type-f connectors so I could use a 20' long coax

B, Jesus H Christ man. Its not directional, I dont even know wtf you're talking about and I KNOW its not directional.

The standard for SPDIF calls for either:
A) a coaxial cable with a BNC connector(or RCA)
B) an optical connection (Toslink)

AES/EBU is another standard (very similar) which uses 3-pin XLR connections.

Show me a SPDIF connection that doesn't use: RCA, BNC, Toslink, or XLR.

:werd:

I haven't seen one. The most common ones are digital coax and Toslink anyway.

Well, for one thing that looks like an RCA. Two, its bullshit because the thing has shielding at both ends connected and you just dont hook up the grounding dongle. Not very directional now is it.

B an rca will fit on a sub woofer output, and it will work fine.
I would recommend a sub cable so it doesn't get any interference especially if you are running the power cable next to it.

I need to know if they make one end for toslink and other digital coaxil. My receiver has 1 toslink and it is being used. So my xbox 360 has toslink and i have a free digital audio input :) Sorry in advance but it is pertaining to the topic.

*edit- RCA will work for digital coaxil. Same plug... 100% positive because i am using that now,

WTF is your question again? You only have 1 input and you want to use it twice? Or you have two digital inputs (one optical, one coaxial - which I've never heard of before)?

Only has one toslink input, but since the xbox has a toslink output, he needs to convert it to a coaxial since this toslink is takin.

wow b you just told me how to fix my hum and i used to work for the cable company and couldnt find the grounding issue on my own

Back