Pr3 Pistons in an LS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MikeBergy

Blah blah blah....
I know someone has had to have this setup. I am looking to grab a set of pr3 pistons for my ls, so I can drive my car around while my super duper motor is in the shop, probably for the summer due to lack of funding. My pr4 block is fine, but just a little experiment to test what a higher compression will do for the b18a while I am waiting for my b16a. My question is, has anyone run a set of pr3 pistons in a stock ls block, and run the stock pr4 without any problems? I'd like to know if detonation is going to be a problem with the stock ignition and fuel curves, and if I just retard the timing a bit, will I be okay? Thanks.
Mike

PR3 = B16, right? I think a few guys on here are running B16 pistons in LS blocks... lsvtec is one of them I think.

I was running B16 pistons in an LS block but I had a B16 head and a GSR ECU so I don't know how the LS ECU will handle them (I imagine everything will be fine). You might have to back the timing off a little but I am not sure about that. You will have to run 91 octane or better.

cool, thanks, I am used to buying 91 octane, that is the only price on gas that I pay attention to anymore, since I always ride the cbr.

i run 81.25mm pr3 in my ls block with the head milled .020

it is tuned conservatively and i never detonated with 93 octane. i am sure that 91 octane will support that with some liberal tuning

but are you running the pr4 ecu? I really don't want to tune much if I don't have to. Obviously I will be running 91 octane, its the best pump gas we have in Cali unfortunately. I am just hoping a slight bump in compression will give me a taste of what is to come when my b16a is completed.
Thanks
Mike

unfortunately i dont run the pr4 ECU because its an LSVTEC setup. but like you said, kick the timing back a little bit perhaps, aren't you going to get some form of tuning for your b16?

Yes, Hondata s200, but I don't have the 600 dollars for the system yet. Plus, when I do my b16a swap, I am also goingto convert to obd1 using a 92-93 gsr harness, or just a 92-93 harness w/ the necessary extra wires run. So that is my dilemma. I am just hoping the pr4 works with the pr3 pistons. I won't even get the pistons, if I can't find em cheap.

Btw pills, nice bridge! My compostites lab instructor was suggesting we could do one of those as a project for the class, but we built a composite CF skimboard instead.

I am using LSVTEC PR3 on PR4 rods... with the LS ecu... it isnt completed yet but I have found any problems, the mechanic buildin my enigne says it'll al be ok.

thanks about the bridge.. i am doing an independant study next semester to research composites more should be interesting...

is there any reason you aren't building an ls/vtec since you already have the majority of the parts you need to do it??

It is, especially since my dad is a cop. Not like he would ever rat me out to the CARB, but I just like to keep a general good standing with the government. I am a good law abiding citizen. :lol:

Back