1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pr3 Pistons in an LS

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by MikeBergy, May 10, 2004.

1. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

I know someone has had to have this setup. I am looking to grab a set of pr3 pistons for my ls, so I can drive my car around while my super duper motor is in the shop, probably for the summer due to lack of funding. My pr4 block is fine, but just a little experiment to test what a higher compression will do for the b18a while I am waiting for my b16a. My question is, has anyone run a set of pr3 pistons in a stock ls block, and run the stock pr4 without any problems? I'd like to know if detonation is going to be a problem with the stock ignition and fuel curves, and if I just retard the timing a bit, will I be okay? Thanks.
    Mike

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

PR3 = B16, right? I think a few guys on here are running B16 pistons in LS blocks... lsvtec is one of them I think.

3. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

I was running B16 pistons in an LS block but I had a B16 head and a GSR ECU so I don't know how the LS ECU will handle them (I imagine everything will be fine). You might have to back the timing off a little but I am not sure about that. You will have to run 91 octane or better.

4. MikeBergy

cool, thanks, I am used to buying 91 octane, that is the only price on gas that I pay attention to anymore, since I always ride the cbr.

5. pills_PMD

pills_PMD Super Moderator

i run 81.25mm pr3 in my ls block with the head milled .020

it is tuned conservatively and i never detonated with 93 octane. i am sure that 91 octane will support that with some liberal tuning

6. MikeBergy

but are you running the pr4 ecu? I really don't want to tune much if I don't have to. Obviously I will be running 91 octane, its the best pump gas we have in Cali unfortunately. I am just hoping a slight bump in compression will give me a taste of what is to come when my b16a is completed.
    Thanks
    Mike

7. pills_PMD

unfortunately i dont run the pr4 ECU because its an LSVTEC setup. but like you said, kick the timing back a little bit perhaps, aren't you going to get some form of tuning for your b16?

8. MikeBergy

Yes, Hondata s200, but I don't have the 600 dollars for the system yet. Plus, when I do my b16a swap, I am also goingto convert to obd1 using a 92-93 gsr harness, or just a 92-93 harness w/ the necessary extra wires run. So that is my dilemma. I am just hoping the pr4 works with the pr3 pistons. I won't even get the pistons, if I can't find em cheap.

9. MikeBergy

Btw pills, nice bridge! My compostites lab instructor was suggesting we could do one of those as a project for the class, but we built a composite CF skimboard instead.

10. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

I am using LSVTEC PR3 on PR4 rods... with the LS ecu... it isnt completed yet but I have found any problems, the mechanic buildin my enigne says it'll al be ok.

11. pills_PMD

thanks about the bridge.. i am doing an independant study next semester to research composites more should be interesting...

is there any reason you aren't building an ls/vtec since you already have the majority of the parts you need to do it??

12. MikeBergy

I live in cali, and so the fact that it will never legally pass smog keeps me from doing it.

13. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

14. MikeBergy

It is, especially since my dad is a cop. Not like he would ever rat me out to the CARB, but I just like to keep a general good standing with the government. I am a good law abiding citizen. :lol:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted