pre 96 b16a2 OBD2?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

starlordmadcap

Whats up everyone.
I've been lurking for a few months now gathering info for an upcoming swap I'm planning on.

I have a 96 civic ex w/ the stock d16y8. I was planning on swapping in a b16a2 from a 99-00 civic si. I thought about a b18c1 but I like the idea of being able to order parts for b16 without any fitment issues.

I've been reading a ton of info but I am a bit confused on the obd issues.

My questions are,

1. if I get a pre 96 b16a2, can I run a 99-00 civic si ecu and get it bar'd. I live in California and I want it to be legal.

2. If I can do that, what kind of wiring issues am I going to have to deal with.

Thanks.

getting an OBD-1 engine to run OBD-2 without codes is a bit of a pain in the ass (more sensors, different wireing, etc) your best bet is definatly to get an OBD-2 one and run that OBD-2

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jul 24 2005, 08:04 PM
getting an OBD-1 engine to run OBD-2 without codes is a bit of a pain in the ass (more sensors, different wireing, etc) your best bet is definatly to get an OBD-2 one and run that OBD-2
[post=530602]Quoted post[/post]​

That's what I was thinking but I needed confirmation.

Thanks.

Just to give fair warning, everyone be prepared for lots of questions over the next few months. After I search ofcourse. :D

Originally posted by starlordmadcap@Jul 24 2005, 10:49 PM
Whats up everyone.
I've been lurking for a few months now gathering info for an upcoming swap I'm planning on.

I have a 96 civic ex w/ the stock d16y8. I was planning on swapping in a b16a2 from a 99-00 civic si. I thought about a b18c1 but I like the idea of being able to order parts for b16 without any fitment issues.

I've been reading a ton of info but I am a bit confused on the obd issues.

My questions are,

1. if I get a pre 96 b16a2, can I run a 99-00 civic si ecu and get it bar'd. I live in California and I want it to be legal.

2. If I can do that, what kind of wiring issues am I going to have to deal with.

Thanks.
[post=530589]Quoted post[/post]​

If you get a b16a2 from a 99-00 Si you won't have any OBD issues since the a2 is IIb.

Back