Pre-detonation

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jap-spec

I am planning on building a fast motor that's able to handle higher boost. I know what detonation is and what it does to a motor. From my understanding, to keep an engine from having detonation all I have to do is get bigger injectors that can handle the extra air that crams into the engine to keep balance of the air/fuel ratio. Is it just that easy? Do all i need to do is get bigger injectors and a apexi's afc controller to tune the fuel curve to stop detonation?

you are way off. and it is entirely NOT that easy.

injectors only supply fuel. they don't have ANYTHING to do with detonation.

a vafc is a half-assed way at best.
i would NEVER, and i repeat, NEVER boost a motor- even 5 psi, without a hondata or AEM EMS that has been DYNO TUNED with a wideband o2 by a professional tuner.

There's a lot more to it than that. For starters what engine, what if anything has been done to this engine, if the pistons have been changed what's the compression,do you care about what grade of fuel you have to run, how much do you have to spend on the setup and what parts do you have already. The list goes on and on, do some research to figure out what you want, then you will be able to ask questions in a way that people can give you answers. If you do what you just described then the engine would blow in a week.

ha ha you guys are funny. Answer a question with a question. Ok, i have a b16a engine. I 'm planning on gettin JE pistons with a compression ratio of 8.5:1 and Crower rod.
pissoff do you even know what injectors do? No disrespect
if you didn't know, it lowers the temperture of the air/fuel ratio causing the air to cool down. Thats why an engine with detonation problems needs to be more rich. I just really need to know what aftermarket product i should buy to program the fuel and ignition curve so i can control the milliseconds that the injectors are open and what rpm to set the air/fuel ratio.

Originally posted by jap-spec@Jan 16 2003, 03:38 AM
ha ha you guys are funny. Answer a question with a question. Ok, i have a b16a engine. I 'm planning on gettin JE pistons with a compression ratio of 8.5:1 and Crower rod.
if you didn't know, it lowers the temperture of the air/fuel ratio causing the air to cool down. Thats why an engine with detonation problems needs to be more rich. I just really need to know what aftermarket product i should buy to program the fuel and ignition curve so i can control the milliseconds that the injectors are open and what rpm to set the air/fuel ratio.

injectors do what?

CC- its flow in cubic centimeters per minute. aka HOW MUCH. the larger- the more fuel is able to push in.

we're here to learn. not to say i'm wrong and you are right when you clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about.

running rich is the shitty way to not detonate. running rich simply dumps more fuel into the chamber, so that it cools it down- why? because gas is cold most the time... and cold gas burns better, and has a lesser chance to predetonate. BUT, running rich eats power. leaning it out makes more power but poses more potential risk. but there is a sweet spot- and thats what a tuner will find.

what aftermarket product? aem ems.
what rpm? take it to a dyno with a wide band o2

LOL. :owned:
"God" knows what he's talking about and is probably the last person I'd try to clown here (especially with the whole being able to ban ppl). My friend put up a stupid post a while back as a joke to piss ppl off about how all hondas but the s2k and nsx (RWD) are stupid and pointless to put money into... couldnt get on the site again after that from his comp.

Originally posted by jap-spec@Jan 16 2003, 03:38 AM

WTF?? No disrespect? lol thats like saying "you are a dumb fuck, but no disrespect" Not a smart thing to say to the man that runs this site. :ban him:

I'm not going to argue who know more but i don't like some one telling me to look up more information or that i don't know jak. I love going to many post like this one and learing new things but i notice when people post question alot of people like to be smartass and tell them to search it up. WE all here to learn i can probably school a bunch of people who think there smart and new everything.

For your first comment:

An injector have works byturning off and on verying quickly to delivery pulses of fuel. The lenght of time the injector is on,or open, allowing fuel to be sprayed into the port is know as the duty cycle. duty cyle is measure in milliseconds-one thousandth of a second.

I'm not saying to had fuel to get rid of detonation but you have to tune the fuel/air ratio curve to put more fuel at different rpm.

umm ok...
but this has nothing to do with your post anymore. you asked about tuning so you don't detonate. and now its an arguement about how injectors work. frankly, i don't give a shit how they work- i know they do and i know what size to run for any given setup (more or less).

Back