Prelude H22a swap is almost complete

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jason C.

I posted a few months ago asking if the jdm H22a would bolt up to an usdmH23 tranny. After asking a few questions and help from Tab (Da Man!) we are almost complete. My girlfriend bought the lude w/ blown H23. Well...3 JDM motors we are alost there. Waiting on the P13 so we can feel the vtec power. Car runs great w/o, so I'm real excited! I want to post the pictures, so could someone please PM and tell me how. I will post the pix this week under this thread this week. Thanks again to everyone that contributed accurate info. It was a huge help!

That's why we help. It's tough not to be a prick when you are asked the same questions over and over. But, most of us still do our best.

OK...quick question. We were using the computer from the H23 and the car was running smooth, but no vtec. We got the P13 and put it in and the car idle is way off. It isn't running good in low rpm, but after 2500 or so it's fine. Vtec does kick in. Any suggestions?

My first thought is to check the timing. Remember that to adjust the timing, you have to jump the service connector. Otherwise, the ECU adjusts the timing back to where it was before. No codes? Um, after that, I'd go down the trouble shooting list. IAC, Coil, EGR, Injectors, a million things can and do go wrong.

It's nice to have VTEC yo!!!!!

i thought you only had to jump the service connector on obd2 setups. So all you do is put the paperclip in and then time it on the flywheel?

Pretty much. Put in a paperclip, time it, remove the paperclip. It's in the Chiltons/Haynes manual.

Well, I just found out that the H23 injectors were being used in the H22. We had to order new H22 injectors. You guys think this could be the problem? I will find out for myself very soon.....just anxious to be done!

I would think that obd2 is obd2, and injectors for engines that similar wouldn't be that different I would think. Definitely check the timing, not just the ignition timing but the cam timing as well. My b18 timing belt slipped one tine and got a tooth off on the crank pulley, and the symptoms were similar to the low idle bog that you described.

Yup...It was injectors!! I am picking the car up today..JDM headlights on the way and pictures will follow!

Well kudos!!! I am glad you figured it out, I would never have guessed injectors, unless the flow was so drastically different between them. Glad you found the problem. :)

Well, I'd agree that you should try to find a stock P13. Those Ebay ECU's scare me to death. Maybe try a junkyard to try to find a wrecked Prelude?

Also, if you are indeed using H23 injectors: While this is a bad idea, it wouldn't be causing the VTEC/revlimit problems that you're having. Try pulling the code that you're getting, this is the easiest way to diagnose your problems. Also, chances are, if you're rev limiting at 6500 rpm, you're NOT engaging VTEC.

i'm DEAD sure i have Vtec. it's insanely obvious. My exhaust and intake do the trick. but yeah i do need to pull the engine code.
any easy way to do that without an OBDI kit?

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Oct 6 2004, 12:19 PM
Well, I'd agree that you should try to find a stock P13. Those Ebay ECU's scare me to death. Maybe try a junkyard to try to find a wrecked Prelude?

Also, if you are indeed using H23 injectors: While this is a bad idea, it wouldn't be causing the VTEC/revlimit problems that you're having. Try pulling the code that you're getting, this is the easiest way to diagnose your problems. Also, chances are, if you're rev limiting at 6500 rpm, you're NOT engaging VTEC.
[post=399082]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree with this.^^^^^

Most stuff that would cause a rev limiter would tell the ECU not to engage VTEC. Maybe you are hearing/feeling the IAB?

Dunno :shrug2:

you guys are the best.
However, now i have my H22 injectors and my H23 fuel rail. is that gonna cut anything out for me?

Originally posted by bandit66@Oct 6 2004, 02:15 PM
you guys are the best.
However, now i have my H22 injectors and my H23 fuel rail. is that gonna cut anything out for me?
[post=399169]Quoted post[/post]​

What do you mean?

well, before it was (thought to be) an issue of having H23 injectors. Now i have H22 injectors with my H23 fuel rail.

Used to have: h23 rail and injectors
now i have: h23 rail, h22 injectors

is this (still) gonna cause problems??

Originally posted by bandit66@Oct 6 2004, 02:45 PM
well, before it was (thought to be) an issue of having H23 injectors. Now i have H22 injectors with my H23 fuel rail.

Used to have: h23 rail and injectors
now i have: h23 rail, h22 injectors

is this (still) gonna cause problems??
[post=399183]Quoted post[/post]​

According to hondaautomotiveparts.com, the parts numbers for the two fuel rails are the same. So it looks like it shouldn't cause a problem.

As I said before though, the wrong injectors wouldn't be causing the VTEC/revving problem you're having. Those puny injectors would cause other problems, though.

well now i don't have to worry about that cause i have the H22 injectors on. YET i still have my problem. I'm thinking maybe ECU??

does anyone know where i can get a STOCK JDM ECU?

i'mma try hondaautomotiveparts.com

Back