prelude high idle when first start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RoyalFelix

so here is my problem when i first start my car in the mourning it revs itself up to a good 2k rpms and it stays at high rpms for a good 5-10 minutes even driving. when i put it in gear, it stays revd to about 1,400 after i drive it for some time then it goes back to normal idle's at its 800 rpms and what not. BUT when i first start it its SO ANOYING what sensor is it!!!

so here is my problem when i first start my car in the mourning it revs itself up to a good 2k rpms and it stays at high rpms for a good 5-10 minutes even driving. when i put it in gear, it stays revd to about 1,400 after i drive it for some time then it goes back to normal idle's at its 800 rpms and what not. BUT when i first start it its SO ANOYING what sensor is it!!!

If its not TPS (throttle posistion sensor) try adjusting the idle adjustment screw (flat head screw) right on the top of your intake manifold. With your car cold, take your coolant cap off and make sure you have a full radiator and your resavior is full. Good luck Oh and you may also have to get a new 45 dollar from honda coolant temp sensor, that may also be an issue.

both are full

both my radiator and reserve tank are full. also my temp gauge never goes up. i have coolant with water and that purple freeze thing. to make water colder. ummm idk where is the sensor that marks the temp of the water? could that be the problem? i mean after i run it for 10 min everything goes back to normal, but like i said during those 10 minutes its rather anoying. once again my water gauge never goes up. where is the sensor for that?

both my radiator and reserve tank are full. also my temp gauge never goes up. i have coolant with water and that purple freeze thing. to make water colder. ummm idk where is the sensor that marks the temp of the water? could that be the problem? i mean after i run it for 10 min everything goes back to normal, but like i said during those 10 minutes its rather anoying. once again my water gauge never goes up. where is the sensor for that?

the coolant temp sensor is located right under your VTEC solinoid, my jdm h22 it's a green plug, it screes right into the head. It on the same side as your heater hose and main coolant hose, but it's directly under your vtec solinoid. From honda it runs like 45 bucks I believe

h23a1 non v-tec

i have an h23a1 non v-tec is it the plug that is on the collant hose coming from the engine? and could that be the problem?

i have an h23a1 non v-tec is it the plug that is on the collant hose coming from the engine? and could that be the problem?

I'd have to see the pic, but it sounds like it, it located under the main coolant hose

No, that is not the right one, but its right by there. Its right above the transmission below the distributor, and its a green plug. That plug will mess with your idle.

And your temp gauge doesnt move at all? Even after driving around for at least 10 min? I think your problem lies elsewhere but you need to replace that sensor if your temp gauge doesnt work, then go from there. Good luck

where to find

well the green plug had this peace which was connected above the tranny on the left side of the engine ( you poping the hood facing the engine ), where the water i guess goes in? well i got that part took it to discount the coolant "tempature sensor" and they didnt have it. they had one that was alot smaller then the one i had. so off to the honda dealer i guess. and no the temp gauge never goes up at all not even driving it for 2 hours. nothing. and the fans come on normal every now and then. so i know the car heats up to reg temp. so. would that have to do anything with the car's high idle when cold? ( first start )

well the green plug had this peace which was connected above the tranny on the left side of the engine ( you poping the hood facing the engine ), where the water i guess goes in? well i got that part took it to discount the coolant "tempature sensor" and they didnt have it. they had one that was alot smaller then the one i had. so off to the honda dealer i guess. and no the temp gauge never goes up at all not even driving it for 2 hours. nothing. and the fans come on normal every now and then. so i know the car heats up to reg temp. so. would that have to do anything with the car's high idle when cold? ( first start )

Honestly I am not sure how the inner workings go with the temp gauge and sensor. I would think the temp sensor is for the car but a wire going to the ECU so it can send the signal to gauge for the correct temp, but I could be wrong.

It is prob. your iacv or your fitv. (idle air control Valve) or (Fast Idle Thermo Valve) the iacv is right on the front side of your intake manifold 2 bolts and a plug with 2wires and 2 hoses for coolant take it off and there is 2 holes one has a screen in it and the other you can see the valve clean your screen out and replace it. then under your throttle body there is 2 more coolant hoses and three 10mm bolt remove the bolts and then disconnect the hoses( minimal room under there to take em off while in place.) then u will c there is a cover plate on the side with 2 phillips screws in it remove these with a 9mm wrench so not to strip the bolts. and u will c a plunger inside screw it back in tight with a flat screwdriver . dont overtighten just snug it up and put everything back together, reset your ecu and prob. solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at least it should be

It is prob. your iacv or your fitv. (idle air control Valve) or (Fast Idle Thermo Valve) the iacv is right on the front side of your intake manifold 2 bolts and a plug with 2wires and 2 hoses for coolant take it off and there is 2 holes one has a screen in it and the other you can see the valve clean your screen out and replace it. then under your throttle body there is 2 more coolant hoses and three 10mm bolt remove the bolts and then disconnect the hoses( minimal room under there to take em off while in place.) then u will c there is a cover plate on the side with 2 phillips screws in it remove these with a 9mm wrench so not to strip the bolts. and u will c a plunger inside screw it back in tight with a flat screwdriver . dont overtighten just snug it up and put everything back together, reset your ecu and prob. solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at least it should be

Damn darkman your right, I replaced my Idle air control valve as well. I should of mentioned that but I replaced so much shit trying to figure out my problem, I was just happy when everything started working normally again.

yup that worked

lol at last my car is running how it should. lol i have one last problem. lets say im going like 50 when i let go of the gas and the rpm's slowly drop under 2k it drops fast to 1k like if on "N" then goes back up to the rpms it should be on. going down slowly its rather anoying. im not sure if thats normal in automatic cars or not but if you know what the problem is please tell me. Also! to clean the idle control valve, what should i spray it with? wd/40 or carb cleaner? and the metal net that you talked about you said to replace that? with what??????

lol at last my car is running how it should. lol i have one last problem. lets say im going like 50 when i let go of the gas and the rpm's slowly drop under 2k it drops fast to 1k like if on "N" then goes back up to the rpms it should be on. going down slowly its rather anoying. im not sure if thats normal in automatic cars or not but if you know what the problem is please tell me. Also! to clean the idle control valve, what should i spray it with? wd/40 or carb cleaner? and the metal net that you talked about you said to replace that? with what??????

What worked? and I am not sure about your second problem

good to hear that man. i wish i could get mine runnin right again.im not real sure about the second one tho

nah just spray her out good with carb cleaner and then blow it out with compressed air or just let it dry out real good b4 u put her back on. when i said replace it i meant put youre iacv back on sry.about the confusion

Last edited:
Back