prep work for d16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMPlaya

alright, i want to see what all i can get out of my d16z6, what steps in prepping the engine, and adding parts, to prepare for turbo, i know i need new rods, pistons, head work, but can you go into detail like what the best product for the money.. I know somewhat but not all.. Thanks!

you dont think i could make it faster building up the d16? i know it would be faster than the stock GSR, how much power could a d16 hold up? im looking for like 250 to 300 HP..

250hp at the crank, maybe. I've had a few friends pull 200whp+ on just a bolt-on turbo kit (Greddy and Apex'i) with their D16Z6 / D16Y8 engines. Just make sure you get the car tuned after the kit is on, and you'll be fine. Also realize that you'll "top out" your car faster in terms of mods and max power, but unless you want to spend tons of cash on a swap and THEN a turbo on top, boosting your stock engine will still make you very happy.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 11 2003, 10:54 AM
swap in a GSR

ya for the first time on this subject matter, im

MOST DEF. WITH STUPID

if you only got 1500-2000g's then turbo the fuck out of that sohc.

but if you got 3-4k.....get urself a gsr.

conversely though...

3-4k on a sohc motor with either the edelbrock kit or the NEW greddy 19g kit (obd2 civic) will most assuredly get you down to low to mid 13's. but again, each car is different, so dont quote me on that one. you might be able to do better, you might do worst, depending on how well u drive and the condition of your car, and a whole host of other factors.

if i was you?

id get the gsr if i had 3-4k.

Originally posted by josh@Sep 11 2003, 01:53 PM
definitely not going to get 250-300 hp with 4g's and a z6

bullfucking shit.

2000.00 greddy 19g kit.
which leaves 2k over.

fmic = 500 or so
boost controller
(dont flame me for this next one)
either the "hack" or a fmu with missing link: 150 or so
etc. etc.

turn the boost up to 13psi and you should be in the neighborhood of 220-250 give or take...

but i guarantee you if you gave me 4k on a stock z6, i could get 250whp out of that sucker no problem. <<edit>> i didnt mean to make it seem like it would be just bolt the turbo on, bolt some parts up and your done. it WILL take SOME work...and tuning, but it definately can be done <<edit>>

Go here if you want to learn more about a boosted "d" series engine and it's potential....

the guys on there are very informed and helpful.....

Originally posted by Calesta+Sep 11 2003, 03:11 PM-->
Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Sep 11 2003, 02:45 PM
josh
@Sep 11 2003, 01:53 PM

bullfucking shit.

:werd: :withstupid:

:thumbsup: :werd:
I'm putting the teg up for sale today and picking up an EG coupe. I want to see how high a "panda" motor can really go... :D 20 psi anyone??????????

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+Sep 11 2003, 04:34 PM-->
Originally posted by sohcslammer@Sep 11 2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 11 2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Sep 11 2003, 02:45 PM
josh
@Sep 11 2003, 01:53 PM

bullfucking shit.

:werd: :withstupid:

"panda" motor

????

panda?
:blink:

It's what is commonly refered to when you put the pistons from a toyota supra (88-92 I believe) into a sohc motor. In theory you can boost something ridiculous like 15-20 psi on all the other stock internalls. I guess we'll see.... ;)

Some guy on Honda-i-know-nothing-tech started it and his sn was panda-something. Or something to that effect... Talk to calesta about it. I know I will before I get it under way... :D

If it were about 4 months ago I'd say go GSR, but I just bought my new rex 3 months ago that came with slightly modded Si motor (bolt-ons) and I ran a 15.3 after putting my afc and mugen ecu in. I'm even faster now, so I will try for a 14.9 next week, if it works I will be building my a6 this winter too. HOLD IT DOWN FOR THE D-SERIES MAN!!!! woohoo! After I saw what my A6 was capable of, I'm stickin' with it. Building for all motor baby!

Originally posted by RFHOMI2U@Sep 11 2003, 05:06 PM
Building for all motor baby!

Aahhhhh. All motor. The expensive way to go slow. :lol: j/k My sohc ran @ 14.9 on all motor and minimal gutting.

Dseries > Bseries :wall:

:lol: :D :p

In a straight line maybe... some of us don't care about the drag strip. :p

panda-something-or-other = TurboPanda on Honda-Tech. He was sending 75mm bore forged stock Supra pistons over to the States from Malaysia (I think), with used B16 rods and bushings/bearings sized to support the larger wrist pin hole on the pistons. He was doing them for something like $500 a set I think, and claimed that they would allow a D16 block to hold 18-19 psi on a good sized turbo.

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 11 2003, 05:29 PM
In a straight line maybe... some of us don't care about the drag strip. :p

panda-something-or-other = TurboPanda on Honda-Tech. He was sending 75mm bore forged stock Supra pistons over to the States from Malaysia (I think), with used B16 rods and bushings/bearings sized to support the larger wrist pin hole on the pistons. He was doing them for something like $500 a set I think, and claimed that they would allow a D16 block to hold 18-19 psi on a good sized turbo.

no "block guards" or "sleeving" or .....any other mods?

just the supra pistons and rings and what not

Back