prep work for d16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+Sep 11 2003, 05:32 PM-->
@Sep 11 2003, 05:29 PM
In a straight line maybe... some of us don't care about the drag strip. :p

panda-something-or-other = TurboPanda on Honda-Tech. He was sending 75mm bore forged stock Supra pistons over to the States from Malaysia (I think), with used B16 rods and bushings/bearings sized to support the larger wrist pin hole on the pistons. He was doing them for something like $500 a set I think, and claimed that they would allow a D16 block to hold 18-19 psi on a good sized turbo.

no "block guards" or "sleeving" or .....any other mods?

just the supra pistons and rings and what not

I'll do some reserch and get back to you.... It sounds too good to be true huh?

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Sep 11 2003, 05:32 PM
no "block guards" or "sleeving" or .....any other mods?

just the supra pistons and rings and what not

Pretty much. The whole point of playing with the D block is to save money, right? Well, for most people...

The stock sleeve can still handle quite a bit of pressure- it's a strong block.. and all the D blocks have full length girdles underneath (I think). Just tune it right and you'll probably be ok.

alright, thats what i was saying im kinda doing this as budget wise, cause a gsr swap is what around 2700? not including mounts and what not, i just want to have fun.. alright so im sticking with z6/ what parts do i need to replace and what do i need to start doing to get this puppy some more horsepower and prepared for turbo.. what aftermarket kit would be the best? edelbrock? i know they have a new one, greddy? f max? rev hard? any of you guys have experiance with any of these kits?

BTW this motor will be in a 91 crx si... anyone had a turbo'd z6 with nice internals in a rex? good times?

thanks for the site tony

another thing my stock tranny is so shitty, i cannot stand going into 3rd grinding like crazy, whats the best tranny i could get for the d? i heard the l3 which i think is from the zc was pretty good?

The L3 is all the cable clutch transmissions from 88-91 Civics. There's no such thing as a "transmission code"... they're all chassis codes (for the transmissions), and the transmission just happens to sit in them.

The ZC transmission is a great choice. Good even gearing, and not too short for a turbo setup. If you can scare one up with an LSD in it, you'll like your new turbo CRX even more.

:)

I'm doing a D16Z6, w/ an 91CRX Si Tranny, I'm going through my head completely and getting new valve springs, ti retainers, guides, and seals from KMS Engine Development. Bottom end I'm going to do Crower Econo-Billet rods w/ JE pistons, 9.2:1 compression, +.020 over. I'm may bore the stock sleeves, but I'm opting to buy darton sleeves... I'm on a budget too tho. I'm going to use a KMS Block Guard if I don't get darton sleeves tho. I'm just going to get stock honda main and rod bearings, they will do.... On the intake side, I'm doing the new Skunk2 Intake manifold and an Ericks racing 68-70mm Throttle Body(Havent decided yet....). AEM Fuel Rail and FPR, DSM 440 injectors..... Then, I'm going to build a custom turbo kit......... Time will tell w/ that one. We will see what happens!!!!!

Everbody on here talks about block gaurds, what about posting a block like they show on homemadeturbo.com. Has anybody ever tried this or is it a bad idea? Just curious.

Back