prepping a car for auto-x??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BodyDroppedNikes

...PENDEJO....
VIP
im seriosuly thinking about racing my 1990 Integra GS next year in auto-x along with showing my car. i want to know what all i do need to do to get my car to race specs. here is a list of my questions i have to ask:

- i know i need safety equipment, but what all do i need?
- my car is gonna be some what stock performance wise minus intake, header, exhaust and suspension (coilovers, strut bars) upgrades. will this put me in a different class? if so what class?
- what are good tires to have?
- does the body have to be stock looking? i want to add a body kit to my car since the car will also be shown.
- what would i need to take with me to the track?
- roll cage? are they necessary??
- whats a good helmet?

thats about all i can think of for right now, but any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated. thanks all!!

I/H/E, roll cage is not needed, but helps to stiffen up the chasis. I run Kumho MX tires, my roommate runs azenis, but wants to switch up to Kumho MXs. A 15 inch wheel with good tires will do you well. There is a guy around here who has been kicking our asses and he is in a '91 LS/VTEC hatch, with koni yellows and ground controls. The set up works well for him. I would recommend running a good sway bar set up, and the front strut bar does do some difference as I have just found out. I run Tein HAs, and I have yet to put on my adjustable sway bars, however I have high hopes for them improving the handling of the car. Go out run the car as you have it, and get a feel for what you want the car to do. I do not race in any particular class I just go out and have fun, I am not doing it for points, I just race my self.

Whats a good class to aim for with my hatchy?

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Oct 23 2004, 08:07 PM
:withstupid: ....but for my Integra
[post=406602]Quoted post[/post]​

For the integra and the Hatch, most any mod will throw you into STS or DSP. If you choose to do a turbo, any internal work, or a swap, then you'll be racing in Street Mod (SM) or SM2 for del sols and CRXs (2 seater class)

You can autox a stock car with nothing done to it, and on top of being the cheap way to go, its the best way to learn on a predictable slow car. As far as helment, it must be Snell 95 or newer, however, if you don't have the money for one, you can always use one from the SCCA chapter. Free, but nasty.

For stock, you can do the following mods
SHOCKS (not springs)
Disconnect Front swaybar
Run OEM sized wheels/tires (14inch and 15inch azenies are great)
Cat back (Can't touch header)

For DSP
You can do suspension, without changing the stock mounting locations (swaybar, strutbars, coilovers/springs/what ever)
Tires/wheels (can be larger then stock. 15 is normally the Ideal size)
Header
Intake
Remove PS and AC

SM
Swap
Turbo
Internals
Cams

Thats just stuff that I named off the top of my head. For a complete rules book, check out this site

SCCA rules

Going to an autocross, here is what I do/bring

Preautocross
-Wash my car inside and out. Inside, you must take everything out that is not bolted down to the car. this includes spare tire/jack, CD's, coin trays, Floor mats ect. Alot you can take out at the autocross site

At the autocross
-Basic tools. Remember the honda sizes are 10,12,14,17,19
-Helment
-Paper tape and markers for writing numbers and class on my car, or for SCCA autocrosses, I have my own number plate
-Sun screen/water/munchies (at SCCA events, they take forever, so you'll need this)
-ID and proof of insurance (I had one autocross ask for proof of INS)
-Laundry basket to put all your crap in
-Qt of oil

EDIT. Forgot to mention. Play with your tire pressure alot. Since your putting alot of stress on your tires, they will roll over, so you need to up them. I run around 40psi, but it is diffrent for every tire.

Awsome reply thanks. But i have a question what if its a swap for a ZC? Cause my hatchy has one now so now mater what i guessim in the swap catagory now. Correct?

So i may as well go for some type of B series. Ls maybe. Do you guys think a built ZC in a 91 hatch can be competative In SM?

Thats what i was thinking a nicel lil 16G or 12g and some dyno time

Turbo + FWD = LOL

Yes, any time you go with a non factory US offered engine, you go into SM. IF you go to a d16z6 with a CRX, your in SM, but if you go with a b16a3 with a del sol, your legal for SM2 because a b16a3 came stock in them, but if you go with a b18b in a sol, your also in SM2

Originally posted by asmallsol@Oct 23 2004, 08:36 PM
As far as helment, it must be Snell 95 or newer, however, if you don't have the money for one, you can always use one from the SCCA chapter. Free, but nasty.

next year is 2005, snell 95's are no longer legal. snell 2000, or wait for the snell 2005. SA approved is a better helment for auto racing than an M-spec. SA has fire protection, and is designed for multiple moderate impacts (insides a car) versus the Motercycle design, which is design to accept one huge impact only.

Originally posted by UDT@Oct 23 2004, 10:19 PM
So i may as well go for some type of B series. Ls maybe. Do you guys think a built ZC in a 91 hatch can be competative In SM?
[post=406628]Quoted post[/post]​

locally, sure. nationally, not a chance in hell

Ok if i just like the idea of the possabilty of being nationally able to compete, what would you guys consider a nice set up?

Originally posted by UDT@Oct 24 2004, 04:23 PM
Ok if i just like the idea of the possabilty of being nationally able to compete, what would you guys consider a nice set up?
[post=406776]Quoted post[/post]​

If you have your heart set out to run with a swap, right now probally the best swap would be a K20a swap. Lighter then b-series and more HP, and a six speed LSD tranny

Thats out of the questions by far. And its not that i want to run a swap but its swaped already and im not puting a peace of crap back in there.

Originally posted by UDT@Oct 24 2004, 10:54 PM
Thats out of the questions by far. And its not that i want to run a swap but its swaped already and im not puting a peace of crap back in there.
[post=406887]Quoted post[/post]​

Minimum, you good tranny with a GOOD LSD like Kaaz or quaife. National events are filled with great drivers. If at local autocross, your not placing first in your class all the time and getting FTD here and there, then your not going to be compeditive at the national level at all. Yea you can go there and have fun, but many of the drivers have 10 plus years experience

Well were gonna have to just wait and see now arent we ;)

K series doesn't matter. A 6-speed tranny does nothing for you in an autoX event. You rarely get out of 2nd gear.

A crvtec would do well as far as swapped hondas go, but the more important than the motor are (very important) suspension and (the MOST important) the driver. The driver is the biggest factor in autoX. Doesn't matter what car. Stock civics beat porsches all the time. Know why? The civic driver knows how to drive his car and knows how it handles.

Back