pressure plate clutch disc

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ethan

VIP
anyone heard of the clutch being different from 88 to 90?

i ordered this for my sisters 90 civic dx it has a d15b1 with the 4 speed trans and the clutch is too small he told me this is because i ordered a clutch for a 88 and its completely different.

also the clutch alignment tool that came with it was for b series and was too big.

88-91 cars came with several different clutch combinations

all 88 transmissions have a 21 spline input shaft, so only 88 clutch discs will fit the 88 transmissions - 89-91 transmissions have a 20 spline input shaft, so only 89-91 clutches will fit the 89-91 transmissions - probably why your alignment tool wouldn't fit

88 and 89 with D15B1, D15B2 and D15B6 engines used a 190mm diameter clutch disc and matching pressure plate - most aftermarket replacement clutches for cars with these engines will be a 200mm diameter, same as the D16A6

88 and 89 with D16A6 engines used a 200mm diameter clutch disc and matching pressure plate

all 88 and 89 used the same flywheel, even with the 2 different diameter clutches

all 90 and 91 engines used a 212mm diameter clutch disc and matching pressure plate and flywheel - the 88-89 pressure plate will not bolt to the 90- 91 flywheel, nor will the 90-91 pressure plate bolt to the 88-89 flywheel

Last edited:
Hi
Your reply is clear, consistent and well-written; however, I'm easily confused!
I just joined this great forum and posted regarding a similar clutch compatibility question:

I have a bone-stock '91 Civic Si 5-speed with a bad diff, and have access to an '88 Si trans (ex-CRX) with a 1988 clutch disc and pressure plate, and a 1989 flywheel ($150 from the same seller)
Assuming all this data is correct, can I bolt the '89 flywheel onto my '91 engine, then install the '88 trans using the '88 clutch disc and pressure plate?

Thank you kindly in advance,
Marc in SF

TRANSMISSION_CLUTCH.jpg

Again, a million thanks for providing clarity to a previously confusing (to me) topic. Nothing like a flow sheet!

In all sincerity, contributions of this quality are what make forums work!!

Regards,
MarcD

Back